Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappie Nibbles

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Nibbles

I can't find any locally, so I'm getting ready to order some from Cabela's. Whay would be the best color(s) for these stained coastal waters?
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    I can't find any locally, so I'm getting ready to order some from Cabela's. Whay would be the best color(s) for these stained coastal waters?
    IBNFSHN,
    I have gotten several jars from Cabela's. The water where I fish is really stained. I find the sparkle green and sparkle silver works really well. Especially if you tip a jig with them. I have looked at our local bait shops and they do not carry the sparkle. Cabela's and Bass Pro is the only place I could find them.
    I also use the pink and chartreuse but have had better luck with the sparkle.
    I can't leave now; They fixen to turn on.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using the silver with pretty good luck. We went to West Neck Friday and Saturday the water had nice cypress stain. We caught a bunch (like the ones in the pic I sent you) on chartreuse or pink jigs with the silver nibbles. It seemed like the chartreues jigs worked a little better. I just ordered some nibbles in charteuse and silver. Did you get the jigs I sent?

Post Thanks / Like

Bill H.,

Don't get yellow. I've tried that color down in my neck of the woods in dark water and they ain't done jack! Good Luck. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boscoe
    I've been using the silver with pretty good luck. We went to West Neck Friday and Saturday the water had nice cypress stain. We caught a bunch (like the ones in the pic I sent you) on chartreuse or pink jigs with the silver nibbles. It seemed like the chartreues jigs worked a little better. I just ordered some nibbles in charteuse and silver. Did you get the jigs I sent?
    Yep, got them the next day. I haven't really had a chance to try them on crappie yet, but I did catch a nice white perch on one. When I get thru with this hand operation, I want to get up with you and buy several dozen so my fishing partners and I can give them a good test. I really like the looks of the one you are still working on, (looks like it has bug eyes).
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Try the Chartruse or lime yellow crappie nibbles. They work great with a white or pearl colored jig that has blue, gold and silver sparkles embedded in the plastic of the jig body. The Bass Pro Shops Squirmin Squirts White Lighting are my go to jig and the Chartruse crappie nibble colors does very well with those jigs.

Today I ran out of minnows to feed my pet fish. So I feed the fish a few crappie nibbles. The Warmouth at two of the nibbles but he lost most of them as they got stuck in his throat and everytime he moved his gills the crappie nibbles disolved a bit more and were expelled out of his gills. I could see puffs of chartruse crappie nibbles coming out of his mouth and gills. LOL

I have a few bluegills and a tiny warmouth, that is not much bigger than the small shiners that I feed my crappies, in the aquairum with my three crappies. The warmouth is very agressive and fast. As soon as the first minnow hits the water in the aquarium that warmouth is after it. It's more agressive than my black crappie and easily beats the other fish to the minnows. Sometime the warmouth can't get the entire minnow inside it's stomach and you can see about 1//4" of the minnows tail sticking out of the Warmouth's Mouth. . I get a big kick out of watching the fish feed on those minnows.

For a while I had a 14" White Crappie in the tanks but he as too stressed out and was about ready to die. So I took him out of the aquarium and make filets out of him. He is now in my freezer waiting for me to catch a few more big crappie so that I can have a fish fry.

I caught a few small sunfish that are only about 1" long. I captured them with my glass minnow trap. I used oat meal to entice them inside the trap. I put the trap out in only 1ft of water right along the bank. It only too a few hours to get the small sunfish to enter the trap.

Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nibbles

I have been using yellow with a lot of success. I have tried the sparkles but they don't seem to stay on the hook as long as the regular nibbles do. Didn't know they made a silver, and will try it as soon as I find them.
    Hold My beer and watch this sheeet!!!

Post Thanks / Like

BILL,

BPS in Hampton usually has some.
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation White Rules!

I am really surprised that no one listed the White nibbles! They are #1, and the Chartruese-Green, would come in a tight 2nd in any waters.

FYI - the most common color (other than live bait) that all record breaking fish have been caught on.... ding ding ding - White.

I carry several more colors of nibbles during tournys, but those really are the best. I would also recomend the Glup baits in Orange or Chartreuse. They look like a Catalpa worm, and are about 1- 1 1/2" long. The Orange is a real killer! Full baskets to ya!

<,"}/>{ Rippa
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

Post Thanks / Like

i only use green because they have always worked the best but they will stain the crap out of boat carpet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast