Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: First real success with redfish

Post Thanks / Like

Default First real success with redfish

A buddy and I went down just over the intercoastal south of lake charles. After searching fruitlessly for a good fishing spot, we finally found a place that looked promising about 10am (started at 0730).

The spot had a few dozen aggressive gar, with which I had some fun watching them strike. One gar finally managed to bite my lure (with the treble hook dangling free) and held on all the way to shore, where I had to "coax" him off. There was a very curious 4' gator, that liked to sit and watch me, about 4 feet away, and then go chasing my lure. He actually took my line and swam away with it once, but my buddy cast near enough to him to distract him.

We finally managed to have some luck with gold spoons, and ended up landing 7 redfish. Now, these aren't the massive offshore redfish a few threads down, they were inshore in about 5 feet of water. It was a thrill for me though, these are the first 4 redfish I've caught, and all keepers. The smallest was 18" and they ranged to about 24" , unfortunately the ruler on top of my cooler only went to 20.

Heres the pictures, you can see one redfish that the gator was chasing while my buddy was running for the net. They'll be blackened and fried after we get back from the swashbucklers game.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice catch
    2018 Tracker Super Guide 40hp 4 Stroke
    Garmin Striker 7sv
    Minn Kota Powerdrive with iPilot
    Marine Raider Rod Holders Modified for Versatrack

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, not off shore,,red fish,,but those are the BEST to eat..congrats
    DuBroc "Lily pads, grass, mud,stumps,5 ft beaver dams, you better hold on! "

Post Thanks / Like

Good catch. Sounds like a ya had a good day.

Gonefission
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Go fish them gar. Let me know i explain how to fish them...
    joshua

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you were able to get on some and I would bet that will NOT be your last trip for the reds! :D And like Gator said, those are definetely the best eating size. I can't see the pictures right now (work computer) but I bet they were some nice ones.
    Thanks for the report and pictures.
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely won't be the last time. The blackened redfish came out great, froze some for tomorrow, I'm going to fry it.

Oh, I've one question. Can you guys recommend an electric fillet knife that can stand up to redfish reliably?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratfusion View Post
    Definitely won't be the last time. The blackened redfish came out great, froze some for tomorrow, I'm going to fry it.

Oh, I've one question. Can you guys recommend an electric fillet knife that can stand up to redfish reliably?
    Hey ratfusion, I just discovered how to cook fish "blackened" style this year and man do I love it!

As for the elec. knife, it depends on how many and more importantly how big the fish you are going to be cleaning are. I have used the black and decker and the GE from wal-mart and they usually hold up for about 1 to 2 years depending on how many fish are being cleaned. I have also burnt one up after 1 off shore trip! They do make a salt water one now but it is a little pricey for me. I like the american angler b/c you can buy replacement blades for it.
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!

Post Thanks / Like

great catch i am going to sweet lake tomorrow afternoon i will post what i catch

Post Thanks / Like

Nice looking reds. They are alot of fun to catch. I have no suggetions for a filet knife. Maybe a sawzall....lol.... them scales and bones are tough. Congrats on the catch and thanks for the pics.
    You can't fish with a hung line!