Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Crappie Lake in Northern Kentucky area?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Best Crappie Lake in Northern Kentucky area?

I am looking for the best lake in the Northern kentucky area for size and numbers. I can catch a 100 crappie in Kincaid, but there is no size 5-7" to them. Same at Bullock Pen lake. Anyone have any other lakes out there that have some bigger crappie?
    Thanks,
    Bassky

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Hey Bassky ....

You're pretty much resigned to a few small lakes, in the Northern portion of the state - Besides Bullock Pen & Kincaid ... there's Boltz & Williamstown lakes (off I75 at Dry Ridge) - Corinth Lake, Elmer Davis, and a few other small waters around La Grange. Chances are, though, that being so small - they're not going to produce much in the way of size.
    Have you tried Guist Creek (East of Shelbyville) ...... Taylorsville (South of Shelbyville & East of Louisville) - I don't know about Guist Creek, but Taylorsville has some decent Crappie.
    Or, over to the East of Lexington .... there's Cave Run, Grayson, Yatesville, & Paintsville lakes. I can only vouch for Cave Run - I've never fished the others.
    Have you tried fishing the KY River ? Or any of the larger creeks coming off of the Ohio River ? .............. luck2ya ........cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default No Ky Crappie

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy
    You're pretty much resigned to a few small lakes, in the Northern portion of the state - Besides Bullock Pen & Kincaid ... there's Boltz & Williamstown lakes (off I75 at Dry Ridge) - Corinth Lake, Elmer Davis, and a few other small waters around La Grange. Chances are, though, that being so small - they're not going to produce much in the way of size.
    Have you tried Guist Creek (East of Shelbyville) ...... Taylorsville (South of Shelbyville & East of Louisville) - I don't know about Guist Creek, but Taylorsville has some decent Crappie.
    Or, over to the East of Lexington .... there's Cave Run, Grayson, Yatesville, & Paintsville lakes. I can only vouch for Cave Run - I've never fished the others.
    Have you tried fishing the KY River ? Or any of the larger creeks coming off of the Ohio River ? .............. luck2ya ........cp
    I have tried all of the smaller lakes in No Ky. Williamstown probably has the biggest crappie of the lakes, maybe 7-8" avg. The biggest crappie I have caught have come from creeks running into the Ohio River. There you can expect 8-11", but fewer numbers, harder to find. I have fished Taylorsville and Cave Run. Bigger fish at Taylorsville. I was just looking to see if there was anything else closer to home. How is Grayson?
    Thanks,
    Bassky

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Sorry Bassky ...

I have never fished Grayson.

I know what you mean by trying to find waters a little closer to home .... I live in Lexington - so Taylorsville is a 1.5hr trip - Cave Run is a 1.5hr trip - Cedar Creek is a 1hr trip - Herrington is a 1hr trip - Cumberland is a 1.5hr trip (to Somerset area) or 2.5hr trip (to Jamestown area) - Green River lake is a 2hr trip .......... and that's just to get "to" those lakes. (it's one reason I've been going the 3.5hr trip to Watts Bar, rather than the 5hr trip to KY/Barkley, for my "vacation fishing trips")

I think the problem with small Crappie, in those smaller lakes, is a result of poor harvest. People don't want to keep and clean a bunch of small Crappie, so they either don't fish for them or turn them back. This keeps the overall numbers, of small fish, high ... and, in turn, they don't grow very big in size - and keep reproducing in numbers. It's a vicious cycle, that's only made worse by poor angler predation. ...........cp

Post Thanks / Like

Wink two other lakes I forgot...

Crappiepappy,
    There are 2 other lakes about an hour from me that produce good crappie, East Fork Lake in Ohio and Brookville Lake in Indiana. Both have good crappie populations and good size avg 9-12", but they are not in KY.
    Do you know a good worm color for daytime fishing on Herrington Lake?
    I have a tournament there on the 21st. Never fished there before.
    Thanks,
    Bassky

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb I hear ya ...

about fishing out-of-state ... I hold a yearly non-res license for Tn - plus my hunting/fishing license for KY ...

Herrington - May 21st - daytime tourney ..... and you want to know what color WORM ? About the only time I've used worms at Herrington ... is at night :rolleyes: .
    When I fished during the day - I cranked !! If the water is stable, and the spawn is still on .... jerkbaits (char back-silver sides). If they're post spawn .... cranks in red, baby bass, firetiger, or shad. If there's a lot of "players" on the water (which there's likely to be) .... I'd get back in a creek, or in a "no wake" zone on the main lake. If you really think worms are the thing .... pumpkinseed, watermelon seed, motoroil, or blue are good "body" colors - chartreuse or solid red are good "tail" colors. If you'd prefer to use plastic craws or creature baits .... watermelon/orange claws for craws - junebug or green for creature baits. I've never used tubes for Bass ... but, I know the "Roadkill Camo" is very popular - as well as the "Sweet Beaver" (creature) baits, in several colors.
    I know that all that info is pretty standard, almost generic .... but, I haven't fished Herrington more than a handful of times over the last few years ... and mostly at night (Summertime), so I don't know how much my info will help ... luck2ya ...cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Herrington Lake

Crappiepappy,
    Thanks for the info,
    I too have heard early morning buzzbait or crankbait bite. But I heard that once the sun starts getting high to pitch a worm or jig on the ledges. This is why I asked what color is good on herrington. Thanks for the info on the colors. Any info is appreciated.
    How is the crappie on Taylorsville, have you been there lately?
    Thanks,
    bassky

Post Thanks / Like

Default No trips to Taylorsville ...

so far this year. Weather, work, and the Fling have kept me away. No worries, though ... they'll still be there, when I get there :D

Hope you have a partner that knows where the ledges are, when the water is at the level it will be on tourney day ... I've fished the lake for 30 some years, and still don't know ...LOL!!
    Hey - if the ledges fail you ... shoot a tube or trick worm up under some docks, or boat slips. They sometimes suspend in the shade of the docks. Just be sure and have some stout line ... most of those docks have cables or metal crossmembers, that a fish can get wrapped on. ..... luck2ya ..cp

jim k Guest

Default better crappie lake

Quote Originally Posted by Bassky
    I am looking for the best lake in the Northern kentucky area for size and numbers. I can catch a 100 crappie in Kincaid, but there is no size 5-7" to them. Same at Bullock Pen lake. Anyone have any other lakes out there that have some bigger crappie?
    Thanks,
    Bassky

hey ever heard of doe -run lake?i know that people have said that there are no fish in there ,but they are very wrong.me and my girl went there a few times and tore them up,we caught like 37 crappie,all of them between 8 - 11 inches long.fish with minnows on jigs around usual crappie hang-outs.bushes ,fallen trees,ect.also fish around the concrete wall in the middle of the lake about 18 feet deep.we caught a load of them.hope this helps,good luck. jim

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Doe Run Lake

Yes, I have fished there but it has been at least 7 or 8 years since I have been there. I will have to give it a try. Thanks for the info.
    Bassky from Alexandria, KY :p

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast