Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Why?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Why?

If crappie reproduce more quickly, why don't you catch more of them than bluegill?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow I'd have to say ....

Quote Originally Posted by newblade View Post
    If crappie reproduce more quickly, why don't you catch more of them than bluegill?
    that it's probably because Crappie only spawn once a year, while Bluegill can spawn several times a year.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Are you saying they are easier to catch because they are spawning or because the lay more eggs? I am going by people saying not to put crappie in a pond due to over population and you don't hear it as much about bluegill and I can catch a lot more bluegill than I ever thought about catching crappie.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Strictly on the basis of numbers ....

Quote Originally Posted by newblade View Post
    Are you saying they are easier to catch because they are spawning or because the lay more eggs? I am going by people saying not to put crappie in a pond due to over population and you don't hear it as much about bluegill and I can catch a lot more bluegill than I ever thought about catching crappie.
    Bluegill spawn more often, during a year. They create more numbers. They don't necessarily have to lay more eggs (per one spawn), if they can spawn several months out of a year. Crappie only get one chance a year, normally.

Either one will stunt in a pond of small size ... without heavy predation, to control their numbers. Their growth rates, harvestable size, food sources, spawning temps (water temps), and other factors are somewhat different, too.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

My person opnion is that bluegill tend to be much smaller and their mouth doesn't allow them to eat most of the orher young fish.