Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Georgia's new Gun law

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Georgia's new Gun law

http://www.wtvm.com/global/story.asp?s=8326863

Governor Perdue Signs Controversial Gun Bill

May 14, 2008

Columbus, GA (WTVM)-"I think it's the worst bill he could ever pass because it's already dangerous out here people killing each other," says Connie Johnson.

It's familiar complaint heard from many people in response to Governor Perdue's decision to sign the bill allowing guns in restaurants, arguing it may trigger more violence.

"It really scares you. You don't know someone may have something against someone and they may come in and just start shooting," added Johnson.

"Honestly I don't see the need for it. It's not going to make anybody safer. I can't even conceive why the governor would sign something like that. It just makes absolutely no sense," says Jim Morpeth.

The new law also allows people to carry guns in parks and on public transportation.

Jim Morpeth is the owner of Country's Barbecue. He's been in the restaurant business for 33 years and says he's seen many instances that could have possibly turned ugly if someone had a gun.

"I have seen people get into domestic disputes and just arguing among family. I had one time two customers argue with each other and squirt sauce bottles. I mean what if one of them had a gun. It might have been bullets instead of hot sauce," he added.

Meanwhile, some people say the bill needed to pass and may actually decrease violence.

"I'm in favor because it may cut down on the people that are carry the guns illegally. If they know you're capable of shooting back it may cut down on criminals that do shoot," says Country's Barbecue Customer, Stephen Bush.

"I'm sure people have been doing it all along so it won't make any difference," added Country's Barbecue Customer, Richard Paulk.

Gonna be interesting watching this develop..

If ya got'em ..bring'em

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

The process you go through to carry a gun is very lengthy and costs $150 for the class and $100 for the license. Not many hot heads or crimanals can go throught the gauntlet of red tape to get the permit. When I got mine it was mostly business owners and a couple of lawyers getting theirs. Now I wonder why a lawyer would need to carry a gun. lol

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I think Mr.Jim and Miss Connie are morons and I agree with his other customers,Thugs and imbissles already are toting guns illegally with the intention on harming someone,what say if ol Jim is getting robbed at gun point or Miss Connie is being accosted by a rapist and an honest and forthright citizen saves their behind. Maybe if these thugs get the message that people aren't gonna take it anymore and they're packin heat it will deter a lot of foolishness. Guns do not shoot and kill people,sorry no good scum people do. Just my opinion.
    Last edited by Outlaw1&2; 05-15-2008 at 05:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Connie Johnson and Jim Morpeth are morons. The more legal guns being carried out there the safer society becomes. AS more gun laws are passed and the more guns are outlawed the more dangerous a society becomes. History backs this up loud and clear. Sonny gets it.
    Last edited by minnowsoaker; 05-15-2008 at 06:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

i've LEGALLY carried a gun for 20 years i carry one on my boat and in my car. i agree connie and jim are nuts. just remember it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. i pray i never need to use it. mature people just discuss their problems and if you can't then walk away.
    Got crappie?:D

Post Thanks / Like

i thought the constitution gave us the legal right to bear arms in case of tyranny (ie) the gvmt figures gettin out of hand..i think in texas most everybody carries one yes? the way it should be..now,i also believe everyone including me should take courses on operation and handling of guns esp if they are gonna carry one...i am pretty dern good with a rifle,ok with shotgun,but need help on handgun..only have one handgun,and am a little intimidated on using it..only shot about 2 boxes of ammo thru it..
    me carrying it prob wouldnt make a big difference if i got in a situation if i fumbled too much with it..get what im saying?

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

when have you herd of a licensd gun carrier shoot some one:p
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

you are 100% right manta1. i'm like you with rifle and shotgun but i have experince with a revolver. i don't carry a auto, just a revolver. people should go to a class and learn firearm saftey. i learned on my own and from people that used them longer than me that i hunted with. if you carry a gun learn to use it properly, practice with it at a shooting range.
    Got crappie?:D

Post Thanks / Like

All right, gun fights in the street again......get your hats boys, Old Quickdraw is gonna get another one.....

What was Ms Connie thinking? We already have people walking into public places and shooting up the place... Post Offices, Schools, all sorts of business, just turn on the news and somewhere, someone has pulled a gun and shot up a bunch of innocent people. If someone had a gun maybe, just maybe it would prevent a few of these people being killed.
    Birddog,

I pray that I may live to fish until my dying day. And when it comes to my last cast I then most humbly pray. When in the Lord's great landing net and peacefully asleep. That in His mercy I be judged, BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Post Thanks / Like

Killers are gonna carry guns regardless...maybe if they know you have one, or MAY have one, bigger than theirs, they will keep it in their pants:D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast