Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freezing and filleting fish question

Post Thanks / Like

Question Freezing and filleting fish question

I am floating/fishing 15 miles this Saturday and then camping. I'd like to bring home some of the fish I catch for a fry later on down the road.

How long of a time period do I have if the fish are on lots of ice before I fillet them. Should I fillet them that night at the campsite or could I wait till the next morning?

I'll only keep large Panfish and Smallmouth.

Post Thanks / Like

I perfer cleaning ASAP, but have waited until the next day to clean without any problems as long as they are on ice.

Post Thanks / Like

If they're on ice the whole time, you could wait two (2) days if you wanted. But I'm with willk, I prefer to clean them as soon after catching as possible, then put them on ice or freeze 'em...

Not being a biologist or even staying at a Holiday Inn, I imagine there may be some science to not waiting. It may be possible that some fluids or naturally occurring chemicals may transfer to the meat, if not cleaned right away. But I'm not aware of anything like that.

Also, be careful with your limits. No way for "the man" to know what's been on ice for a day or two and what got thrown on ice a few hours ago...

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to wait instead of cleaning em on a gravel bar without a good table at dusk.

But on the other side, I want em to taste good, so the old lady thinks I can actually do something besides work, fish and fart:D

Post Thanks / Like

If you have good ice and a cooler that you can drain the excess water away from the fish try putting down a layer of ice and then sprinkle with rock salt then fish and layer up with ice and salt and fish this will super chill the fish and they will keep for several days. If you have fillets place them in plastic bags and do the same, if you don't bag them first they will become so salty that you can't eat them.

Post Thanks / Like

Keeping them overnight on no ice is NO problem -- none. Two days can be stretched if you have cool weather and plenty of ice. Good luck!
    - LOZcrappie (Scott)

I would not exchange my leisure hours for all the wealth in the world. --Comte de Mirabeau (1749-1791)

Post Thanks / Like

Eat Smallmouth??????

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DADAKOTA View Post
    Eat Smallmouth??????
    yeah, I eat them - 12"+

Post Thanks / Like

If the gills are still red they are still good, if they turn white, no good. I've heard/applied this many times and have stuck with it. Sometimes the beers get to ya and you have to wait til the nxt day...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sptsman View Post
    Also, be careful with your limits. No way for "the man" to know what's been on ice for a day or two and what got thrown on ice a few hours ago...
    What he said! I would ice them whole just for the sake of not wanting any problems with 'the man'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast