Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coming To KY

Post Thanks / Like

Default Coming To KY

I will be coming to KY to work for a few months. I will be staying in the Russellville area and was wondering if there are any good fishing lakes ,ponds, streams, etc. nearby. All that i ever read about is Ky Lake which on the map doesn't look too far but would like something a little closer for the evenings after work. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Barren River Lake isn't too far from Russelville and is suppose to be a pretty good crappie lake. At summer pool it's about 10,000 acres. Also Lake Malone State Park is pretty close but is a much smaller lake (788 acres).

Post Thanks / Like

thanks backlash, crappie is the fish of choice but anything will do. Do you know if either of these lakes have HP restrictions?

Post Thanks / Like

Lake Malone since it's a smaller lake has a 150 hp max according to the KY Dept. of Fish & Wildlife. Barren River has no hp restrictions. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JeffP
    I will be coming to KY to work for a few months. I will be staying in the Russellville area and was wondering if there are any good fishing lakes ,ponds, streams, etc. nearby. All that i ever read about is Ky Lake which on the map doesn't look too far but would like something a little closer for the evenings after work. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    JeffP,
    If you are going to Malone and will be fishing from the shore and walking through the weeds. I suggest that you get some real good tick repellent.
    Had a co-worker get Rocky Mnt. Fever a couple years ago from there.

If you go to Barren. I would like to suggest that you fish the spillway. It is easy access and the fishing is most of the time pretty good.
    Good Luck

CC
    Stay legal.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a small lake outside of Lewisburg which is just north of Russellville called Spa lake. Small boats with electric motors only. It has some good fish in it if you have access to a jon boat or bass buddy. You'd be surprised at some of the fish that come from the lake. Russellveill get's it's water supply from the lake. Lake Malone is a beautiful lake....great for bass and bluegill, crappie is fair. I've caught several bass 5 lbs last year. Good luck fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a buddy that used to fish Malone quite a bit. They caught some real nice redears fishing crickets on bottom if your interested in that.
    Greenfish

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Do they have boat rentals there? How far from Ky lake is Malone located? I'd like to give it a try in may.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chaunc
    Do they have boat rentals there? How far from Ky lake is Malone located? I'd like to give it a try in may.
    I don't know exactly how far it is from ky lake, probably a 1 1/2 hour drive. But if you're on the western ky parkway it only looks to be about 30-35 miles off of it (I don't know how you'll be going home). They do appear to rent boats there at the stat park. Here is a couple of sites that might help a little.
    http://fw.ky.gov/WaterbodyDetail.aspx?wid=41
    http://parks.ky.gov/camp/campwky-body.htm#lm
    I don't know if it would be worth your time to leave ky lake to fish Lake Malone, maybe someone else knows more about it than me. Hope this helps.
    Greenfish

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Greenfish, i'd like to hit it on my way down from Pa. I take 65 down from Louisville to get to the W K parkway. Can you give me directions from there or how about a zip code so i can use mapquest. Thanks, Smitty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast