Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dove hunting

Post Thanks / Like

Default dove hunting

just wanted to know how many of u dove hunt and over what kind of field

Post Thanks / Like

We like to do our dove hunting in the early morning and evenings around a small pond, preferrably with sunflowers growing around it. The rest of the day we usually find a recently planted wheat field not too far from our water source. This picture is from a few years ago after only about an hour on a wheat field between two of us We had about 23 birds the daily limit per person is 15.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Goodnight Vienna...Pistols Firing!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I hunt dove early mornings and in the evenings around grain fields, close to a water supply.

Gonefission
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Any corn or grain that is almost illegal to hunt.Sunflower field's are the best though for me.The best hunt ever was a 3 acre sunflower field mowed 5 day's before season opening.Man it was great for a few week's,the longer the season the better you had to shoot.

Post Thanks / Like

Slipped, We can hunt over a freshly planted field since it was planted for agricultural purposes, otherwise hunting over grain is baiting. You are for sure right about the mowed sunflowers, when we mow 'em down we just make sure to leave some around the edge for cover.

Any of you guys ever use the dove decoys? If so, you guys think it has improved your hunting?
    Goodnight Vienna...Pistols Firing!!!

Post Thanks / Like

yes i have a mojo dove and love it .seems like they want to land beside of it .its a good buy if u dont have one

Post Thanks / Like

I will 2nd the Mojo Dove. I went with a friend that had one & it worked great so i got one the next day before we went the next time. It seems like they home in on it & don't even look at anything else. I made a little longer pole for mine to get it above the grass & pond edges. Jim C.
    Last edited by Jim C.; 05-30-2008 at 09:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't wait for Labor Day! We usually plant brown top millet then mow half a while before the season then the second half a week or so before. Haven't tried the mojo dove, but we use the foam decoys. They work fine.

Post Thanks / Like

We usually hunt recently planted wheat fields (top sewn food plots) but this year, we will be hunting a harvested milo field...Can't wait!

Post Thanks / Like

I hunt in Illinois with all its flat farm land. A friend of mine sets aside 15 acres for dove and quail hunting. We plant some mixture of sunflowers, milo, wheat, etc. in about a 3 acre plot, then mow strips in it, just before dove season starts.
    The mojo dove is the best thing ever for doves. We have 6 of them and put them in groups of two at the north edges of the land. On the north side its all open fields and the doves can see for miles. They really seem to hone in on those mojos and come right to us. I have even seen doves that have flown past the mojo, turned around and made two or three passes at the mojos while being fired upon!! Cant get any better than that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast