Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Line twist

Post Thanks / Like

Default Line twist

Does anyone else have problems with this? Solutions ????
    I fish with spinning reels and here's my side of it- they are "light" but not the
    micros. I got a couple nice Penns 4200s, a Quantum I got at the Houston
    Fishing & Hunting Show at the Astrodome years ago, and a good Shakespear
    I got at BPS in Feb. All spools are rated 2-4-6lb. test line maybe 8 at the
    most. I clean my stuff and take good care of it. I got a few El Cheapo rigs
    that go along as extras or pre-rigged a certain way that I would understand
    if they weirded out on me cuz I use em as prybars occasionally or slap the
    water with them trying to imitate feeding fish.
    Anyway- 1) I spool my line by laying the spool of new line flat on the floor,
    cranking with the rod tip 4-5 ft. above it, give it 15-20 cranks lower the tip
    and see if I got curly Qs and flip the spool over if I do. Sticker side up is
    usually right but not always. 2) I never snap the bail shut using the reel
    handle, I do it by hand. 3) My bail rollers work. 4) I use Trilene XL in 4 or 6
    lb. test. 5) a swivel is part of every set-up I rig.

I am open to all advice. It isn't an overwhelming thing but often enough
    to be irritating. I heard the Shakespear Supreme Super Smoothe is very
    limp & low memory and I got a spool last week but haven't loaded any on
    yet. Yesterday on the Chick I took all tackle off and 1 by 1 let all the line
    out on each rod and with the motor in neutral but still rolling with some
    forward momentum reeled er back in. This helps. I know a minnow on
    steroids can do some acrobatics but I seem to have equal twist throwing
    jigs. Go figure.

While I'm here, I'm looking for the smallest plastic beads possible used
    for bobberstops. BPS smallest is 3mm and thats what I have but some-
    where I came by a couple dozen that are even smaller than that but
    darned if I know where. The exacl size of the bead itself is not an issue
    its the size hole in the bead. These little bitty ones I have never slide
    up past the thread and I will get a kazillion of em if I ever find anymore.
    They probably came in a packet of bobberstops and weren't bought
    as just beads alone. Maybe I'll log on to THILL. Holler at me fellas.

Jeff
    Shoer,
    12th Degree Ninja

Post Thanks / Like

i use to have the line problem,but i switch to suffix line it has no memory at all one hell of a knot stength and very smooth to cast.you can reel it on any way you want and it want twist.as for the beads go to walmart and look in the craft section they have any size you want.i got your email when you get ready just let me know.
    Dave
    Boydton,VA

Post Thanks / Like

Read the crazy charlie and tugaloo post on the following thread. A berkley line winding station does it that way also. Keep tension on the spool you are loading from.

http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showth...ight=line+reel

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Dave, do you know where I can get some of that Suffix line besides BIBT? I'll try anything once.

Jeff, when casting with a spinning reel, get in the habit of manually closing the bail just before the bait hits the water. It will help eliminate most of the snarls. Its a little awkward at first, but after a while it you do it automatically and don't even realize it.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Bill, Bass Pro Shops has it on thier website and its on sale. Should have it in the store down there. They list 3 different kinds but Im not sure which one Dave uses. I tried Ironsilk to try and remedy the line problems but dont waste your money on it. It frays up terrible. I use Berkley Sensation now with not too mant problems but Im gonna try the Sufix myself. Good luck. Billy

Post Thanks / Like

I just switched one of my ultras over to BPS Tourney Tough. About the cheapest line you can buy. What a difference. I was rat nesting all the time with Rapala Abrasion resistaent line. THe BPS brand casts about 10yds further with the same lure I was using before. I hate buying all different kinds just to see what works and what doesn't. I am going to try some more guages of the BPS brand and see how they work.
    Gary H

Hampton, Virginia

Post Thanks / Like

REELS?
    I've never had too much problem with line twist when I tie 20ft. of string to my 20ft. poles.
    Father of 4 time bash winner. At least I'm pretty sure:o

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel hunter
    REELS?
    I've never had too much problem with line twist when I tie 20ft. of string to my 20ft. poles.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------How can you see a stump that deep? You must use one of them new fangled deeper doodles that shows the bottom. I'll have to try that. I generally just use 6 ft. of line on my 20 ft.ers. I just swing em to the guy in the back to take em off and re bait. He uses a reel so he has plenty of time while he is picking out rats nest and I get plenty of his new line. LOL

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel hunter
    REELS?
    That use to be all I used. The 10 and 12 foot versions. I don't think my wrists would hold up with a 20 footer. Since I fish in the front of the boat, I can't let a lot of line out anyway. So I just let enough out so I can use it like the line was tied on the tip. When I was using power pro line on my reels (all spinning) I never had a rats nest. I was using 15lb test and I think my hand is rated at 11 lb. That can hurt when you get hung up and don't use your head. I've since put some of the Mr Crappie line (6lb) on and do get a tangle once in a while. It seems to have a high memory. Meanwhile, back at the camp, I want to try some of that Sufix line and I may try some 10lb power pro.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I was sorta joking about the guys using reels because I'm not that hi-tek yet,but it does bring up a good point.
    I use 20s,16s,14s, and 12s and the number of crappies caught goes way down as the poles get shorter. I fished 6 or 7 days at Kerr this past March and I don't remember catching a keeper on the 12s.
    Now when we are working on the y.perch the length makes no difference at all and I will leave the 20s at home and replace them with 10s.
    Those 20,s will wear your arm out after awhile.
    This has been just my experience and I'd like to know what you think.
    Father of 4 time bash winner. At least I'm pretty sure:o

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast