Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Collapsible Poles

Post Thanks / Like

Default Collapsible Poles

OK, once again, I am feeling like a maroon because I don't know what I'm doing here... I picked up some cheap Shakespeare Collapsible poles from Wally World in 13' and 12' lengths. They have the line keepers on them, and one eye on the very tip.

Now the dumb questions start. How do I rig these? It looks like I could run the line from the line keeper thru the eye to my terminal tackle (float, weight, minnow on a hook) and let out more line from the line keeper if I want to change depths. It occurs to me that it would be odd to have the line connected near the base of the pole and at the tip with no other eyes in between. Or do I tie my line directly on to the eye and use the linekeeper only to wrap the line when the pole is stored? If I do this, do I change depths only by raising and lowering the tip of the pole? Is it possible to run the line thru the pole?

Sorry to bother you with these basic questions, but I am getting some more time on the water with my kids this weekend and want to maximize their fun without having Dad look like he has no clue (which he doesn't).

Thanks to the always helpful crew on here.

Post Thanks / Like

I always tie my line off on the line holders a the base of the pole. I do not know if this is the correct way but it has worked for me for several years. Also I add extra line around the line holders just in case I hang up and break off. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

The rubber plug at the end of the pole when it is collapsed usually has a little indent in it. When you collapse the pole run the line from the tip eye, through the indent, and down to the line keeper and wrap er up. A slip float with bobber stopper is a good way to adjust the depth. The longer the pole, the deeper you can fish.

Remember to leave a few for seed. :>)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Poles

I prefer uncle bucks crappie poles. The line holder adds quite a bit of weight. I used them years ago. These are much lighter. Can be relined quickly when needed. Link below.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...=SearchResults

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks for the Collapsible Poles Advice!

Thanks Wanafish! I'll tie off to the linekeeper with some extra there so I'll have flexibility of depths if I move around the lake to different spots or determine that the fish are at different levels than I am currently fishing.

As for the rubber stopper, yes it's there and slotted. I'll use that too and keep the line from flopping around when the poles are collapsed. I don't see a reason I can't... I'll just collpse the poles while winding the line as much as possible and then put the rubber stopper on, take the remaining few feet of line and wrap it on the linekeeper too.

Mickeytred...The poles I bought are the same as the Uncle Bucks ones in your link... my guess is that Shakespeare private labels them for BPS and I bought the original version from Wal Mart for $6.96...Yay for powerbuying!

Thanks again to everyone. This is a great community.

Now I just need to hope Weiss is ready to give up some dinner on Saturday!

Post Thanks / Like

I'v got a 12 foot teloscaping bream pole, and it has the consistancy of a cooked noodle. I personally have never used it, but it would probably be hard to set the hook with it.
    Son of Racoon, Friend of whiskerwhipper, FHB to all.