Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gar and Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gar and Crappie

Had two consistently producing spots on LOZ for several days. Caught numerous fish on both spots Friday. On Saturday only one fish was caught between the two spots. Had a cold front Friday night and I know that slowed things down some. On Saturday, several large gar were patrolling the two spots. Will crappie evacuate an area when the gar move in?

Post Thanks / Like

C'mon fellas. Have you ever heard of this? Will the crappie leave when the gar show up?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if they leave or not. But if I was a crappie and I saw something with teeth like that I would leave. I would quit fishing those spots just to keep from catching one. It takes forever to land one on a long pole.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never caught Crappie were Gars are in the area.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Gars are the pits.

My experience is that where there are gars there are crappie.Troll too shallow and they will wreck your rig.12 poles out and hung a 3-footer.Spent 45 mins untangling and rerigging.Hung several Saturday.Crappie bite was OK.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I hate to be the one that disagrees. My wife and I just went fishing the other day and cought 20 really nice slabs. My wife also cought a 5lb gar after about the 10th crappie but we continued to catch crappie in the same spot.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never seen a great spot shut off so quickly. Other non-gar spots although affected by the cold front still produced fish. I surmised that the gar were the problem, but wondered if anyone else had encountered this.

Post Thanks / Like

This spot was less than 2.5' of water. Gar were 3 -4+ feet in length. Temporarily snagged one. Dang hook straightened out.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, just because the gar are there, doesn't mean the crappie hafta go. I've been seeing the gar roll up on top for the past 2-3 weeks right where the crappie are.
    If I Ain't Crappie Fishin', I'm Thinkin' About It............

Post Thanks / Like

Guess the cold front pushed them back. Thanks for the input folks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast