Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Info about the Current River...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Info about the Current River...

Me and a few buddy's are planning on heading to the Current River at the end of May. Now contrary to most we are young dumb college students but we aren't stupid young punk college students. What I am wanting to know is May 18 too early for floating the current as far as water levels go? What is the average temp up there around that time? We're from Mississippi so we don't tolerate cold weather too well, or ugly women. We would like to miss the crowds as we will be having a few cold ones at camp time but would like to avoid the masses of idiots. I hear they have cleaned up that stuff fairly well in past years. Also we are going to get our 3 day license what type of fish are in the current? Any tips on bait selection are appreciated too. We are taking our own canoes but we are going to pay for shuttling back up the mountain to our truck. Any recommendations on guide services? Thanks for any info.

Austin

Post Thanks / Like

Are you floating the Current in Missouri or Ark.? If in Missouri what part of it? 3 main float areas in MO. Akers Ferry Access, Eminence, or Van Buren. http://www.missouricanoe.org/river-maps/current.html
    Are you floating for fun or just to fish? If only to fish I can think of several better rivers to float. I bet your looking to fish for trout because Bass fishing does not opn till May 24 in Missouri streams. The Elever Point river is a much better trout river. They have good wild trout fishing but it is a much wilder floating river also. Not as many gals float it like the Current. The middle to the end of May you have to worry about to much water in the Missouri floating streams.

Quote Originally Posted by SlaterSlinger View Post
    Me and a few buddy's are planning on heading to the Current River at the end of May. Now contrary to most we are young dumb college students but we aren't stupid young punk college students. What I am wanting to know is May 18 too early for floating the current as far as water levels go? What is the average temp up there around that time? We're from Mississippi so we don't tolerate cold weather too well, or ugly women. We would like to miss the crowds as we will be having a few cold ones at camp time but would like to avoid the masses of idiots. I hear they have cleaned up that stuff fairly well in past years. Also we are going to get our 3 day license what type of fish are in the current? Any tips on bait selection are appreciated too. We are taking our own canoes but we are going to pay for shuttling back up the mountain to our truck. Any recommendations on guide services? Thanks for any info.

Austin
    Duane

My ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead
    divorced and no one to answer to, lets go fishing

Post Thanks / Like

If I were you I would get in contact with US Park Service in Van Buren, Mo. and they can fill you in on all of your questions.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a couple of gages on the Current:
    http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydrog...,1,1,1,1,1,1,1

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydrog...,9,15,6&type=0

A two inch rain will make it WOOLY for a few days. Its still gonna be pretty nippy in the water in May, and the population of bikinis will be low.

Post Thanks / Like

Normally I wouldn't share this with some yahoos from Starkville (I'm an Ole Miss grad), but here's the scoop for fishing/floating the current and eleven point--at least from my perspective, there may be others on here who can tell ya more!

Current--like the previous post said, can't keep bass until later in May, but if you want to wait a few weeks I've had really good luck in the early season. I recommend a spinner like a rooster tail--the pattern I've had the best luck with--and I've fished em all on the current--is called Firetiger. Take extras, you'll get hung up a lot! In those deep pools below cliff faces, use a Gitz-It tube jig, I've seen some of those local boys haul out some nice 'uns and that's what almost every one of them has recommended when I've asked. I've floated 80+ miles of the current from baptist camp down to van buren, and there are trout up on the north part (though if you're looking for trout, i'd agree with going to the eleven point), but I found the bass fishing much better below eminence, where the Jack's Fork comes in at 2 Rivers and warms the water a little. My favorite 2 day float for a weekend is from 2 Rivers down to Van Buren/Deer Run, take camping stuff and spend the night on the river somewhere in between--it's a full 2 days of floating and the last couple miles require lots of paddling, but it's very scenic, great fishing and yes, a few bikinis if the weather's warm enough.

For trout, Eleven Point is the place to be. I'm sure the river is high right now, and the last time I went when it was up the fishing was tough. Go to http://www.11pointcanoe.com/ and give Brian a call, he's the owner and does guided trips in addition to renting canoes--top notch guy, he can tell you far better than me which stretch to float and how to fish it. If your main objective is spotting bikinis over fishing, I'd stay on the current, and go memorial day or late june/early july!

Water levels on both rivers will be up in May, and while that means faster water, a lot of the obstacles you would normally have to paddle around are submerged so it's not necessarily a tougher float. However, if some of your guys haven't canoed much, I'd pair em up with someone experienced, especially on the 11 point.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

We aren't really that concerned with the species, just something to do after setting up camp or stopping at a sandbar. We have decided to go during the week later on in the summer. Thanks for all the information. You Missouri folks ain't near as bad as they say.

Post Thanks / Like

Spring River at Mammoth Springs is an excellent river to float if looking for trout, they are stocked so much easier to catch. I've caught many 20+in trout there. There are several floating services also.
    fishing and filleting; that's how I roll!:D