Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: How about a little help from the "fly" masters...

Post Thanks / Like

Cool How about a little help from the "fly" masters...

I have been fishing for trout since I was a young kid. I usually "float/drift" fish for them with either live bait or casting lures. I bought a starter "combo" for fly fishing and have been watching videos, reading and surfing the net. I still feel a "lost". I do not know anyone else that fly fishes so I can't just call someone and go fishing. I am learning as I go.

My questions are:
    1. What do I need for flies(type, sizes, etc)? I will be fishing for trout in the Cumberland River, and ponds for panfish and bass that average around 12-13".

2. Does anyone have any flies to sell, trade, loan :D? I do not want to go hog wild with 100's of flies but I just want a good everyday basic set.

3. What other "have to have" equiptment do I need? Right now I have a 5/6wt Rod, Backing, Fly line, Tapered leader, and 5 flies that came with the outfit. Other than enthusiasm that is all I have for fly fishing!

Thanks Fred
    Sponsored by my wallet!!

Post Thanks / Like

Fred,

A friend of mine fishes the Cumberland almost weekly. I know he does well on woolly buggers, but I'll check to see what else has been working for him.

Also, a good friend of mine guides on the Cumberland. His name is Chris Scalley. He's an excellent guide and knows the Cumberland as well as anybody. I've taken two trips with him there. We used nymphs both times and did very well. I forget exactly what we were using, but I'll check with him, too. Here's Chris' website:

http://www.riverthroughatlanta.com/cumberland2.htm

Regarding gear, you sound like you have enough. Maybe add a spool or two of tippet material, and you'll be fine. There's lots of info here and in the Panfish forum regarding bream flies. The woolly bugger is a great all-round fly.

Post Thanks / Like

For the trout I,d find a local fly shop and go there. They can help you with the hatches and what flies will match. This will save you time and errors, with more time fishing. Get a book on basic flyfishing, learn the basic knots at home not on the water. Fly shops are a good place to visit and pic the brains of some guys there and get a few tips that will shorten the learning curve. The guys on this forum will give you some great info.

Good luck

Randy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Badcast View Post
    For the trout I,d find a local fly shop and go there.
    Very good advice. In Fred's case, that would probably be "The Sporting Tradition" in Lexington:

http://www.thesportingtradition.com/

Looks like you just missed their big spring event.

TU has a KY chapter -- news to me:

http://bluegrasstu.org/index.php
    Last edited by deathb4disco; 04-14-2008 at 06:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks fellows! That is some good info. I didn't know there was a fly shop up in Lexington either!
    Sponsored by my wallet!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default flyfishing

PM me your address and I will send you a couple of panfish flies.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fred in Ky View Post
    I have been fishing for trout since I was a young kid. I usually "float/drift" fish for them with either live bait or casting lures. I bought a starter "combo" for fly fishing and have been watching videos, reading and surfing the net. I still feel a "lost". I do not know anyone else that fly fishes so I can't just call someone and go fishing. I am learning as I go.

My questions are:
    1. What do I need for flies(type, sizes, etc)? I will be fishing for trout in the Cumberland River, and ponds for panfish and bass that average around 12-13".

2. Does anyone have any flies to sell, trade, loan :D? I do not want to go hog wild with 100's of flies but I just want a good everyday basic set.

3. What other "have to have" equiptment do I need? Right now I have a 5/6wt Rod, Backing, Fly line, Tapered leader, and 5 flies that came with the outfit. Other than enthusiasm that is all I have for fly fishing!

Thanks Fred
    Hi Fred!

My advice is to keep it as simple as you can at first. For panfish, all you need is a few poppers and a few subsurface flies: Wooly Buggers, gold bead Hare's Ears, etc. Panfish often are too particular.

Enthusiasm is a great ingredient and will serve you well.

Read as much as you can, ask question and you'll do OK. I find that I catch so many fish in fresh water on fly rod that there's no reason to use anything else.

Feel free to PM me with any specific questions.

Good luck!
    Steve
    Southern Drawl Kayak Fishing
    Native Watercraft-endorsed guide
    gibbysfishingblog.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default A cheap Fly Tying Kit is a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred in Ky View Post

My questions are:

Thanks Fred
    Truly want to learn to tie Flys go down to your nearest fly shop and buy Jack Dennie Western Flys book. This book shows you step bye step how to tie flys. Your cheap kit is a start, get this book and you'll learn fast. I didn't get the help I needed when I started tying flys. A guy seen my first flys without any instructions and said those flys look like they were disected. Thats how bad they wereA cheap kit i, but I was catching fish with them and he wasn't. Good luck.