Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Three words

Post Thanks / Like

Default Three words

Long Line Trollin'

Last week was a bust shootin' docks and going shallow.
    Not a bait ball of shad to be found. Shad are scattered I figure so are the Crappie.

Saturday will be long line trolling in the morning.

Biggest issue is I have no idea what length of line and weights on the jigs to cover different depths.

Gonna be a learning experience for me.

I'll let you know how it goes.
    Standing in the Gap

Post Thanks / Like

Kit....You goin to the rock?....We've done (in the past) pretty good trolling about 50 to 60 ft line with 1/8 & 1/4 oz road runners, down the right side point 14, and also the big cove, just before you get to 14, we call boat dock cove. Usually orange head, & clear bubble belly, orange head,& white curly tail. Good luck, and hope the weather will GET BETTER!!
    I just KNOW it was a big one!!!
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Kit have you ever thought about using leadcore line? I have looked at it and I think it would make long line trolling easier to determine depths. The line is weighted and is a different color every 10 feet. There is a chart that I looked at that you use with the line weight plus the jig weight to get to the depth at so many feet of line out. I have never used it but did research it and liked what I saw.

I currently use 6lb line and let it out til it hits bottom and then reel up to desired depth, not very accurate but I have caught fish this way so it does work. I usually troll at 1.2 MPH.

Goodluck

Post Thanks / Like

Line core is color coded every 10 yards not feet. I used lead core line for trolling walleye up north. The thing with lead core line is if you slow down it sinks and is hard to work in where there are a lot of sharp turns. It's better suited for use in open water areas or on flats with very little depth changes or break lines with sweeping turns. One color of line will take a crank bait down another 5 feet I don't know what effect it will have on jigs but it is a interisting question. I have some #17 lead core I might just have to experiment with it. The other thing I use for depth controll is snap weights.

RICK

Post Thanks / Like

I like to fish a modified "dropshot" rig for crappies in current. A 1/2 oz casting sinker is tied to the end of the line. 2 jigs are tied above the sinker at 16" spacing. The heavy sinker helps hold the line vertical in the current and depth control is made much easier. Just watch your rod tip or your line for the bite. Jigs are tied on using Palomar knots.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.