Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Casting distance with mono ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Casting distance with mono ?

With my Abu Cardinal 101, 5 ft. rod ,and 1/8 oz jig I can cast out about 55-60 ft. with 6 # mono.(Trilene XL). Is this considered averge or normal for my set up ? Line is spooled 1/8" from top of spool lip. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

That's pretty much what I get with 1/4oz lures of any type. Maybe enough folks post similar ranges, we;ll find out it's an average range for that type of setup.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say that's about average. A larger spool, longer rod, and thinner line will all increase your distance.

Post Thanks / Like

Also depends whats on the jig. Tubes tend to cast further than grubs especially ones with bigger floppier tails. There are a lot of factors that can increase/decrease casting distance - line, technique, gear, wind, lures.

When I fish off the piers at lake Erie I can ofter cast more than twice as far as the guys next to me who are inferior in every one of those categories and all those factors apply. Its kinda fun to cast and see them watching how far my lure goes out and then they trying to get close with their gear. Larger spools cast further, lighter line, and poles with the proper length and action for the lure your using. Sometimes when the fish aren't biting it turnes into a casting competition.

Its basically a trial and error process plus either learning from someone who cant really launch lures out or by tuning your gear and technique through practice. I would have to get my gear out and measure some casts with 1/8 jigs on them to see what the actual distance I am casting, and there is 3 inches of fresh snow on the ground out today and I'm not gonna go do it in that. What plastic are you using?
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

thats probably average for a rod of that length....really is hard to get any distance with a short rod...for the cheapest solution for more distance I would go to a 2lb. or 4lb. quality line
    Duane