Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: fly fishing

xcr440 Guest

Default fly fishing

Has anyone fly fished the northwoods. I am thinking about trying it, any tips?

I am mainly talking about souther vilas cty and northern oneida cty.

Post Thanks / Like

I would think fishing in water would work better!!!

I always fly fish. Have u any experience at all fly fishing. What type of fish are u interested in fishing 4, and what equipment do u have.

I may not be able to reply promptly because I am in ARK. at this time fishing, but will be heading back to WI. (home), N/Central WI. Sat.

xcr440 Guest

I am looking to catching crappie, blue gill, sunfish, smallies and maybe trout since we have a few lakes with trout.
    This is the set up I am looking at getting.
    http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/sto...827-ppxs&dds=y

Can u recommend any flies to get. Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

I am totally new to this and welocme any insite.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd go with the 5 wgt - 8.5 footer and spool your reel w/6 wgt. WFF line. Going up one wgt on line makes for easier beginner casting.

I would go with the 5 wgt - 8.5 foot (2 pc) rod and spool the reel with 6 wgt-WFF line. Going one line size heavier makes it easier casting for a beginner. As far as choice of fly's I would recommend some reading about "bugs" and the different stages of a insect. And be aware, a lake also has insect hatches - so "matching the hatch" works also on a lake. PS: I'm back and caught alot of fish. Took a 6 lb LM/Bass on my 7 ft Loomis 4 wgt. on a 3 lb/tippet. What a fight, never rush the fish, a fly rod will take hime down.