Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trolling Motor Upgrade?

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Trolling Motor Upgrade?

I have a R21 Mercury Trolling Motor that fits my boat perfect and is in good condition. The only problem is I need more Thrust. Anyone ever changed out the motor for a higher thrust one? If so how to do? I need to make myself clear. I want to change the motor on the R21 mercury to a higher thrust motor. I think a motorglide motor will fit. Anybody ever changed the motor by loosing electric wires at top and unscrewing the motor from the shaft and replacing with a larger motor?
    Last edited by chodie1; 03-11-2008 at 06:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I changed out several on my boat. I went from a evinrude TM to a hand control minn kota 40#. Then to a 50# minnkota hand control. Then to a foot controlled minnkota 55#. I stayed with 12v cause I didnt want to run another battery. I dont know anything about the R21 you have. The only thing you have to watch for is the mounting holes. They may not be the same from the old unit to the new unit and you might have to drill new holes. I know the old minn kota's and motor guides were different, but now motor guide has dual pattern on the bases that fit both. I had to drill new mounting holes in my bow, but I filled to old ones in with marine tex and you cant see them. And depending on how the electrical is wired, you may have to change out a plug. But it isnt rocket science. Anybody can do it.

Post Thanks / Like

He is asking if he can swap the motor in his current trolling motor for a larger motor. Thus, not changing anything on his trolling motor except the internal motor portion. I have no idea about this one C1.

Canepole will know.

The Hound

Post Thanks / Like

He edited the post after my responce.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chodie1 View Post
    I have a R21 Mercury Trolling Motor that fits my boat perfect and is in good condition. The only problem is I need more Thrust. Anyone ever changed out the motor for a higher thrust one? If so how to do? I need to make myself clear. I want to change the motor on the R21 mercury to a higher thrust motor. I think a motorglide motor will fit. Anybody ever changed the motor by loosing electric wires at top and unscrewing the motor from the shaft and replacing with a larger motor?
    This can be done, but why?
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

No biggie...I read it twice myself.

The Hound

Post Thanks / Like

Default Why I want to upgrade trolling motor

My boat was made to fit the R21 Mercury which has a small base. To install a new motorguide I would have to completely modify the base it mounts on. This is going to involve a lot of expense and may look modified when complete. I love my R21 and I just want to change the motor to one with more thrust. This is easer than modifying my boat. thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chodie1 View Post
    My boat was made to fit the R21 Mercury which has a small base. To install a new motorguide I would have to completely modify the base it mounts on. This is going to involve a lot of expense and may look modified when complete. I love my R21 and I just want to change the motor to one with more thrust. This is easer than modifying my boat. thanks
    Ok. Make sure of the windings first. Make sure the right no of wires coming out of motor head. Just be sure of the red, black wires. Matching the rest will be guess work on your part as I doubt if the colors match. Make sure the existing wires in the R21 are equal to or greater than the size (CMA) of the Motorguide motor. Just remember, a dc motor is a dc motor. The rest is just wiring. It dont matter whose name is on the box. It should work if this is what you want.

I will help as I can. I've done a lot of stuff with motors, but not this.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole View Post
    Ok. Make sure of the windings first. Make sure the right no of wires coming out of motor head. Just be sure of the red, black wires. Matching the rest will be guess work on your part as I doubt if the colors match. Make sure the existing wires in the R21 are equal to or greater than the size (CMA) of the Motorguide motor. Just remember, a dc motor is a dc motor. The rest is just wiring. It dont matter whose name is on the box. It should work if this is what you want.

I will help as I can. I've done a lot of stuff with motors, but not this.
    I'm wondering what control electronics that is in the head and if they will handle the increased amperage. It won't work if you let all the smoke out.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Motorguide probably made the R21 too. If this makes you feel better, go for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast