PDA

View Full Version : I fell out of my boat!!!!!

caveman
02-26-2008, 06:59 PM
I was fishing at Weiss last weekend we had 5 fish on at the same time. I got excited reeling in the fish and lost my balance and fell over the side of the boat into the water. The water was 47.7 degrees. Someone posted here a few months back and asked the question what would do if you fell out of the boat. I had on insulated bibs and 2 coats and I couldn't pull myself out. I thought about some of the answers that was posted and climbed the motor. Whew I must have took on 100lbs of water. I'm just saying thanks for the posts 1 may have save my life. I never thought it could be me.

Greg Holt
02-26-2008, 07:03 PM
I to Caveman read the post and kind of kepted it in my mind that the motor would be the best way to get in. Hope I never need to do this Thanks for the post!!!!

osagemo
02-26-2008, 07:10 PM
Glad you made it. I fell in gigging in the winter once and although it sounds funny I wanted to hold my breath. Had to talk myself into breathing, plus the cold water took my breath when I went in. My clothes were froze solid by the time we got back to the access so we built a fire so i could get them off. I've been thinking about one of them inflatable life jackets so I'll wear it more.

caseydrew
02-26-2008, 07:46 PM
Glad you had the since to "think" in water that cold...

FisherMike
02-26-2008, 07:53 PM
That had to be a terrible shock!!

If you were alone, you were a lucky person.

Life jacket or no?

Thats a great reminder to us all. That 100 dollar inflatable sounds better and better to me.

osagemo
02-26-2008, 08:15 PM
Back in my younger days I never even had them in the boat. I remember ice in the sloughs and breaking through with 3 of us jumping on the front of the boat. Another funny thing is I never let go of my gig. Still had it when they turned around and picked me up. I think it was about 7 or 8 ft. deep.

father of 4
02-26-2008, 08:24 PM
Glad your ok. Best to be able to laugh about it instead of your family mourning

luvjign
02-26-2008, 08:50 PM
Glad you're OK, and not a statistic.......wow, that had to have been a miserable trip back!!!

klight1122
02-26-2008, 08:53 PM
Glad your ok, I read that post with intrest too.

thehines
02-26-2008, 09:02 PM
First, Glad you are ok.
There is not a better feeling than coming home from boating, you may not understand what I am saying; because you came back.
I don't want to sound like Joe CoastGuard, but I can't tell you how many times I have had to pull the guy (Girls) out that didn't want to wear them....

Lucky this time,
Joe Coasty

shipahoy41
02-26-2008, 09:26 PM
First of all I am glad you are ok too. Did you mount that fish on the wall? I am sure it has a story to tell about the time it caught the fisherman.

joejv4
02-27-2008, 07:52 AM
Man - O - Man, that's scary, could happen to any of us. Glad to hear you remembered something you read here so that you're OK!!!!!!!!

Now, you can say that crappie.com possibly saved your life, nobody can give you any good reason not to spend as much of your non-fishing free time here with the gang as you want.

Again, glad to hear you're safe.

Bob # 1
02-27-2008, 07:59 AM
Wow, you are very lucky.
Dont let my wife read this as trying to talk her into infladable boat.

zappaf19
02-27-2008, 09:02 AM
Glad to see things work out well for! I have fallen in and it scared the poop out of me. Cold water is nothing to mess with.
Bill

lag
02-27-2008, 09:19 AM
Good, it worked out OK. Last year I invested in one of the inflatable life vests. It was just another admission to myself that I am getting older and certainly don't have the strength or flexibility I once did. Plus the extra 20 or so extra pounds hampers a little.

skiptomylu
02-27-2008, 10:13 AM
Yes be thankful you made it and had read that thread. It's much harder than some thing to get back into your boat.

Sure glad it worked out for you,

Skip

SUNDROP
02-27-2008, 10:26 AM
I am a big man #440 to be exact. I thought alot about how I would get back in a boat should I fall out. I have a vest but seldom wore it because it is uncomfortable and hot..
Last spring I was pulling the anchor as boat passed and i still dont know exactly how, but I fell overboard. Now luckily, it was spring. Water was in the 60's, I had on shorts and a T. I couldnt get back in the boat....period, I tried everything but my size just wouldnt let me..
My anchor was still in the water, so I was able to get that line and tie a loop in it, then another, and I made a "ladder" that helped me climb back in over the bow... I was surprised how cold and exhausted I was by the time I made it back onboard. Since then I tied up a rope with 4 loops and keep it wound on an extra cleat I put on the rear, and I wear that jacket EVERYTIME I am alone and as I have gotten more used to it I wear it more often even with someone. many folks drown because they hit their head on the boat float face down with no jacket....
Thanks God your ok!!

fingerlicken
02-27-2008, 11:08 AM
Glad your OK. I'm wanting to buy so of those suspenders that way I can wear them when its cold out, with all the winter clothes on its hard to wear a regular life jacket.

CastandBlast
02-27-2008, 11:09 AM
Glad your alright caveman....bad to have happen anytime, but especially while you had 5 fish on!.... Making the rope ladder is a great idea sundrop. I will remember that one.

Kman
02-27-2008, 12:28 PM
Glad you made it! I too did the same thing last year in February. it was 27 degrees outside and we were across a rough lake in a cove fishing. Sun wasnt even up good. I missed a crappie while single pole jigging under some limbs and my jig went flyin up into the limbs and tangled. My partner backed us up with the TM and I reached out to get it undone. I actually remember thinking to myself, "you are extending yourself too far over the boat DUMBA$$!" Well, the first thing to hit the water and get wet was my HAT! Head first baby!:eek:I had on all my heavy clothes and was soaked! My partner laughed THEN helped me back in, dont know if I coulda done it alone. I remember the breath just leaving me at the shock of that cold water.
Boat wouldnt crank! Trolled to bank, got neked, built a fire, called a buddy for a tow, changed into a set of dry coveralls my buddy sacrificed for me, and caught 30 something slabs waitng 3 hours for a lift!:D
I'll never forget that one.

GRIZZ
02-27-2008, 02:42 PM
Been there as I posted in the previous thread about falling in. Its hard to pull yourself up when your soaked with all that water in heavy clothes and cold.

That reminds me of another time I fell overboard when I was a teenager in a canoe. I was using a anchor that was too heavy for the boat and in my haste to get to the fish I just tossed it overboard to my right and bloop over I went to the left and on the way down somehow I got a leg tangled in the anchor rope. I remember looking down in the water and seeing that rope wrapped around my leg. I just went to work carefully unwrapping the rope and then swam to the surface. I have thought about that many times over the years though and exercise much greater caution with anchors.

drfishjd
02-27-2008, 03:12 PM
Glad you're okay, Caveman. You all have convinced me. I'm going to keep a lifejacket on. I know the Mustang inflatable ones work and will save your life. They're not confining at all. You know I wouldn't think twice about spending good money on electronics, but I've always had junky life jackets that weren't comfortable and I woudn't wear. I guess I had my priorities backwards, and thought the bad stuff always happened to the drunks. With the posts on this thread alone, it's obvious that it can happen to anyone. Thanks for the wake up call.

ad1974
02-27-2008, 04:01 PM
Really glad to hear you made out all right and back into your boat,that's scary stuff.

Pop Rivers
02-27-2008, 04:58 PM
Been there, done that. A few years back, January on Weiss- air temp was about 34 and the water was not much warmer. Had all my heavy clothes on to, could not talk, could not climb back in boat. I just sank to bottom and crawled out on the bank- I was at the ramp area, standing on front of boat, about to step on pier; when my partner driving the boat shifted to reverse and I kept going forward- " Splash " .. My partner was laughing so hard he was useless.

Knappy
02-27-2008, 05:03 PM
Country Boy had that to happen to him one night we were fishing in the river---he was lucky i got him out and it was cold--the fish were still biting and he made me quit and go home---needless to say we each bought one of the self inflatable life jackets the next day----dont hardly fish without them now. Just think--------that is just another time i have bailed out Country Boy nc !!!:cool::cool::cool: