Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Morels

Post Thanks / Like

Default Morels

I know ya'll don't have any morals,I'm talking about the fungus.

With record amounts of snow in this area,I'm thinking it might be a good morel season,lots of moisture-along with ticks and mosquitos

I like eating them,but really enjoy just finding them.Its a nice way to take the dog out for a walk,scout new area,just generally goof off on a nice spring day after a long winter.Maybe even kill a turkey.

Post Thanks / Like

ah yes,the fungus amoung us cant walk and find them anymore,use to go to big piney,fish piney creek,hunt the turkey,pick me a mess of morel eat fish and morels for supper, never was any good at turkey huntin, so no turkey for supper, so befor you ask,,,, lake road 1 off 39 highway, north of shell knob, go east on the lake road about 4mi. either side of the road,, couple old house places there hard to see but there there, um um good

Post Thanks / Like

I still have two quart bags of the dectables in the freezer that we dehydrated from last year.

Bout time to fry up a mess of fish and some of them shrooms to start gettin in shape for April!
    Progressive Marine Insurance SUCKS!. If you hit a submerged object they will try to prove manufacturers defect....stay away from them.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh man -- mushroom-eatin' season -- can't wait!

Hey Krazy, how and how long to you dehydrate those things and tell me what you do to reconsitute them. I just got a new dehydrator and may be interested in giving that a try.
    - LOZcrappie (Scott)

I would not exchange my leisure hours for all the wealth in the world. --Comte de Mirabeau (1749-1791)

Post Thanks / Like

We like eatin them too:D - just don't have the trained eye to spot them. I have known people who could spot them driving down a road Maybe we can get out to my dad's place out east of town when the weather warms up and find a few. We definitely have had plenty of moisture

Post Thanks / Like

I was at the city market in Kansas City mo years agao and i came across a guy that was selling Morels for $20.00 and all you got was a small strawberry basket full. I have woods behind my house and i find them all the time. Why pay for them. There is nothing better than beer,deep fried Morels, and fresh Crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LOZcrappie View Post
    Oh man -- mushroom-eatin' season -- can't wait!

Hey Krazy, how and how long to you dehydrate those things and tell me what you do to reconsitute them. I just got a new dehydrator and may be interested in giving that a try.

I got one of them El Cheapo electric deyhydrators with the plastic stackable trays....think its a Nesco.

Straight from the woods the big shrooms get halved and little ones go in whole....dry time about 3 hours I think. But they aint like doing beef jerky....you cant get a morel too dry!!!

I store them in the freezer in quart ziplocks.

To reconstitute them I float them in cool water for 10 minutes or so...not too long! Saute' in butter and MMMMMMMM MMMMMMM good.

Not as good as fresh....but this time of the year....nobody complains!
    Progressive Marine Insurance SUCKS!. If you hit a submerged object they will try to prove manufacturers defect....stay away from them.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good. I hope it's a good enough year for mushrooms that I have to freeze some. That would be a good problem to have!

Thanks, Krazy!
    - LOZcrappie (Scott)

I would not exchange my leisure hours for all the wealth in the world. --Comte de Mirabeau (1749-1791)

Post Thanks / Like

OH yeah !!! i've got a place thats just loaded with them , cant wait.!!!! maybe i can get mr. jeffy out and teach him to hunt them for me .

your right nothing better than fresh crappie and mushrooms !!! oh and dont forget the beer!!
    Supreme Leader of the Missouri Crappie Militia.........

Post Thanks / Like

I moved to 13 acres in Rogersville last year and finally started seeing them. I was like every other 1st timer on a mushroom hunt... when I found my 1st one the others came much easier. I hope we have a good season for them this year, I would like to try and dry some.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast