Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good rod for jig fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good rod for jig fishing

I read the post on favorite rods and was blown away buy the length of the rods you guys use. I have been crappie fishing for a few years and I think the longest rod I have is 7 1/2ft. It's amazing all the techniques used to catch crappie. After reading as many of the posts I could and starting to get Crappie mag., I realize how little I know. I want to get a good rod for jig fishing. do these long rods help with feeling the jig and strike or for the reach.I looked at the B&M Sam Heaton rod 10ft. Would this be a good choice all purpose Jig rod to start out with.

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion Ozark rod company 573-378-2220 makes a 10' jigpole that is hard to beat they are lightweight,durable and very sensitive,
    Jigpoles take time to get the hang of but in the long run you'll be glad you took the time they make fishing trees,brush and even docks more productive.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

I have Mr Crappie, B&M, and Ozark jig poles. They are all good poles but I always grab the Ozark when I go. The others have become back ups and loners for friends.

Post Thanks / Like

I've learned on the 10ft. Ozark rod and have never tried any other, so can't say anything about the others, but I can say the Ozark rods are great and Tony is one heck of a nice guy to deal with.
    Monk

Post Thanks / Like

I got a bunch of different rods, 5,to 14ft. a bunch of different brands, had a lot of trouble with ozark rod at first now I wouldn't be without them the more I use them the more I like them. they fit my ole arthritic hand well and are pretty strong, landed a 6lb channell cat last week and it was hooked in the tail that rod was bent double and the pfluger was singing but buzzy got him in the net.... rule of thumb I always go by 10 percent fisherman,10 percent line 80 percent rod,,, get a good one and ozark rod is a good one

Post Thanks / Like

I like a 10 footer as well, but had to buy a 12 footer for when I'm fishiing behind Mike. PoP! ssssssss - "What's that sound? Oh sh##!"
    Jim - Have boat - will travel.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. Is the ozark jig rod a spinning or a trigger. Why is it hard to get used to. Is it the length.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 10 or 12 foot rod when vertical jigging. If the wind comes up, there is so much wind drag on the rod that you lose some feeling. Then I'll go to a 7 1/2 footer. If I'm throwing jigs, I'll use a 5'10" to 7'6" rod. If i'm fishing a bobber under a jig, I'll use the shorter rods - 6 - 6'6" if I'm throwing them, or the longer rods 10-12' if I'm dropping them close to the boat. All the rods are spinning rods. Sometimes the long rods will tire out your hand, since they're somewhat tip heavy - I had a guy make me a balanced 10' and it doesn't tire out my hand or wrist. that's my 2 cents worth. Good fishing.
    Jim - Have boat - will travel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drfishjd
    I - I had a guy make me a balanced 10' and it doesn't tire out my hand or wrist. that's my 2 cents worth. Good fishing.
    Jim.... I got a rod balancing kit at bps,think it was about 4.00, put on my 10' rod, and sure made a big difference. Can fish all day and not know it. Only thing that would better was to catch than just fish!!
    I just KNOW it was a big one!!!
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Ozarks are great rods. Can't go wrong with them. They are sensitive.

I use the B'n'M Sam Heaton for vertical jigging. I have Sam Heaton's cuz I bought them before I ever tried an Ozark rod.

I fish with 12' so when I'm blocked out of a fishin' hole I can stand behind the guy in the front and still reach the brush.

G.
    Standing in the Gap

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast