Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Boat Trailer Bearing Grease???????????

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat Trailer Bearing Grease???????????

I've had me boat trailer about a year now and I've not greased the bearings yet. I know that is one of those to do maintenance items. My question is what kind should I use? What would give the best protection for fresh and salt water? I use my boat every week all year long.
    I don't fish because I want to, I fish because I HAVE to !

Moma tried real hard.

Post Thanks / Like

A good, name brand marine grease. Don't mix two brands of grease in the bearings. Sometimes two of them mixed together is a runny mess because of reactions between the carriers. If you have bearing buddy type hubs, only add enough to barely move the cap out. Too much can blow the seals.

Post Thanks / Like

Default money saveing tip

Greese is very in-expensive,wheels and bearings and labor to fix can run you some big bucks,,I clean & grease my bearings probably every two months,dont hurt nuthin to have new grease in them,,,,,my .02 ,,,,ss
    It is most fortunate for those in power that people don't think :::A.Hitler

Post Thanks / Like

if you buy new seals go with made in USA brands like TIMKEN. that china junk will not hold up john

Post Thanks / Like

Use a high quality lithium grease. It doesn't matter if it says "marine" as some of those aren't worth spit and anyone can label it "marine" if it's a little water resistant. You want a high-temp (continuous service) grease that resists water washout. Trailer wheels are generally smaller than your car/truck tires and the revolutions per minute are higher, generating alot of heat. Kendall Super Blu High Temp EP L-427 works for me, but there are several others.

If you've got bearing "buddies" that have a pressure release (ie, you add grease until you see it coming out), you can "change" the grease by adding until the new grease shows up--just be sure to use a different color grease and to add until you don't see the old color anymore. That being said, I'd still pull the wheels and check the bearings periodically.