Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Pouring jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pouring jigs

I'm brand new to this and was wondering what are some things I need to do to have my jigs all come out good. I seem to be running into some issues with my heating pot not allowing the lead to pour out fast enough to make each jig turn out right. I'm having some slag issues, and was wondering if there is a way to minimize that. I'm pouring 1/32 oz and 1/16 oz jigs, if that's any help. I read the book that came with the melting pot, and it said you should drop piece of pea sized parifin into the pot while it was heating. Do any of you try this? I'm certainly not going to go into a business doing this, it's just a hobby thing to keep me busy during the winter. I hate really cold weather, so ice fishing is pretty much out, so I thought I'd try this. Any ideas, or help would really be appreciated. Thanks in advance.:D

fishhunter775 is offline Crappie Wall Hanger * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

FishingDog if your having problems with the lead flow you may need some softer lead as it will pour smoother for you.Pre heat your mold will also help to fill them smoother.As for slag or flash check your mold for anything that may have gotten in it,even the smallest of particals like lead will not let it close completly.Also the hooks your using make sure they are letting the mold close tight.As for the parifin it is to help with slag build up on the lead pot.Hope this will help ya a little.

Post Thanks / Like

First, make sure your temp is hot enough. Lead should be really silver and almost like water. Skim the junk off regularly; I just use a spoon to quickly skim the surface periodically while I'm pouring and dump it into an old pouring ladle I have, to dispose of later. Make sure to keep the pouring spout at the bottom of the pot perfectly clear; I can tell when I need to clear it because it'll start dripping a little between pours (means there's a piece of debris inside the spout that needs to be dislodged). I just use a piece of wire, inserting it into the opening while pouring a bit of lead right on the surface of the support plate til it runs well--should only take a second or two! Also, make sure there's enough lead in the pot--when I was a rookie, I didn't put enough in alot of the time, and the weight of the liquid lead ensures a good flow. Pre-heat your molds by making a few hook-less pours (just put the lead right back in the pot).

Last--wear leather gloves. I'm not an expert and don't know how others do it, but clearing the spout the way I do it, along with the periodic drips, etc., means the lead will splash when it hits the support plate and the leather will prevent some nasty burns. I just use old handball gloves--not as bulky as leather work gloves.