Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you throw a CAST NET ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Do you throw a CAST NET ?

Up on the James River near Hopewell where we catfish every week we try to use a cast net instead of setting a gill net for bait......Fellow catfishermen and tidalfish members I fish with Scott (Gottafish) & Steve (Cataholic) ........were doing just that not long ago......cast netting for shad to use as cut bait for catfish......You have to see this to believe it. Count how many GAR Scot got in 1 throw of the net !!!

YouTube - Gar Fishing 101

VIRGINIA GAMEFISH TAGGING PROGRAM MEMBER

Post Thanks / Like

MAN! I hate those things! They are taking over around here... I stick a knife in everyone I catch.... They must have been after the same shad you were...
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. :rolleyes:

Post Thanks / Like

I throw a cast net for shad, I don't know where to get a gill net... Gar? I haven't caught one in a long while...
    Proud Veteran, United States Marines

Post Thanks / Like

lol that must have been a pain getting themout of the cast net and bying another one

Post Thanks / Like

Ya'll must have real big shad to mistake those for'm:D

I bet they ruined that cast net

I catch'm all the time in a cast net (shad)

They have been schooling in the river all year, easy pic'ns, but the fish ain't hungry
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

Post Thanks / Like

Bummer , I hate just one of them in my net, I would suspect there was a little net repair going on after that that mess.
    Biguns only:D

Post Thanks / Like

that was a big ole net too. has to be a pain tossing from a boat

doofy Guest

Default Castnet Gar

Thanks for the post RACN35. Looks like there are going to be some repairs needed.

Post Thanks / Like

I fish in the cape fear a lot for catfish and u cant throw a net or hardly keep a piece of cut bait on with catchin a gar. Those things need to be cleaned out some, they are getting overpopulated around here.
    Let's Go Wet a Hook!

Post Thanks / Like

Default throw net....

Absolutely...start using it around the last week of June. Start with a 1/4 mesh and move up to a 3/8 inch mesh around the middle of July and fish till around the middle of October. Catch enough to put in a gallon freezer bag (with little...very little water). Put them in a small cooler with ice, I prefer the blue ice in the plastic containers and it keeps the shad fresh all day. Now you may ask why I do it like this in the summer...fish for crappies the rest of the year. But man does it catch the catfish! Don't use anything else when we are drifting in the summer.
    Sacred Heart of Mary, pray for us now, and at the hour of our death. AMEN
    For those who believe, no explanation is necessary....for those who don't, no explanation is possible
    For the sake of his sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and the whole world

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast