Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rig's

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rig's

I've been watching some clips on the net about Crappie fishing and noticed the poles used were about 10' long. Is it really needed that long or is that more for vertical jigging? I planned on using a 6 or 6 1/2 foot rod light or ultra light. Am I off base here or would I have more luck with a different pole?

Thanks in advance
    Jon
    Jon Sarabia

My Rottweiler is smarter than your honor student!

Post Thanks / Like

How do you plan on fishing?
    Hump

Post Thanks / Like

Jon, I have limited knowledge and experience, but I do know that with a longer rod for jigging, you don't have to "park" over the cover that the fish are holding in, thus reducing the chance of spooking them.

Jerry and/or Darryl should chime in here soon with a better justification.

Jeff
    Skeeter Jeff
    Indianapolis, IN

Post Thanks / Like

Your rod would be good for casting jigs and fishing under a float

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hump
    How do you plan on fishing?
    From a boat or on a dock or from the bank.
    Jon Sarabia

Post Thanks / Like

Up until last year I thought the same way. I didn't think the long jig poles made all that much difference. I used long poles for trolling and 5.5'-7' rods for casting, bobber fishing and everything else, even vertical jigging. Since a friend convinced me to use the 10' rods for all my jigging, I'd never go back. There's really not much that can be done with a smaller rod that a GOOD 10' rod can't do. I use mine for vertical jigging of course, but I also use it to make long casts with light jigs and even when pitching floats and live bait. I love the BnM rods myself. Started with a 10' Bucks Jig Pole then went to the Sam Heaton 10'. Both are great for everything I do. My fishing partner uses the Richard Williams Crappie Wizard 10' and raves about it also. I've heard good things about the Wally Marshall Signature Series at BPS as well, though I've not tried them myself. The main thing in my opinion is to make sure the eyes are decent size all the way up. Some long rods have the tiny eye at the top, which makes it a pain to try to cast or even drop jigs vertically. And make sure the rod isn't too heavy. The heavier ones are better suited for trolling. If your gonna be holding it all day, it needs to be pretty light and well balanced. If you try them versus your shorter ones, especially for vertical jigging, I think you'd really like them.
    Bob's Jigs Prostaff
    www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

I use my 10' and longer rods for vertical jigging over cover and over schools of spooky crappie. Tends to work great with 4lbs line, a no.8 or 6 Aberdeen hook with small minnow (the specks tend to hook themselves almost every time)! I use my 6'6 ultralite Berkley Cherrywood rod with fast action tip for casting tiny crankbaits, 1/32oz curlytail grubs, and tiny spoons with great success also. Hope this is helpful!

IF YOU'RE FISHIN ON CREDIT, YOU'D BETTER SWITCH TO DEBIT!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have four crappie poles. I have a 9 foot, 10, 11, and 12 footer. All are rigged with ultralight regular spinning reels. I've tried every kind there is. These fix all the problems, except if the fish are at 40 feet deep, or something like that. Even then, these would work if you remove the slip cork stopper. I've started using just a tied on rubber band for that purpose anyway, so it's easy to remove.

I use these because most of my fish are caught at 5 to 16 feet deep. It's tough to 'hand line' a catch at 16 feet with a 12 foot pole, but it's even harder with a 10 foot pole. I'd have to say 80% of my catches are at 8-9 feet. Dunno why, maybe that's just where the structure is where I fish.

These poles are just easier to use with a slip cork. Plus, they are easier without a cork and with a jig, too. I do use a 6 foot ultralight if I have to, but prefer not to. If trolling (rare), that's what I use.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't plan on doing a lot of trolling, mostly jiggin and stuff. I'll look at getting a longer rod and trying it out. I do have a reel I'll throw it on once I pick it up.

Please keep your advice coming.
    Jon Sarabia

Post Thanks / Like

I think the length of the rod/pole depends on several factors, deep or shallow, jig or minnow, rocks/gravel/heavy cover.

for water 15 to 20 feet I use a rod and reel, 6 foot rod... shallow fishing I use a 10 -12 foot pole. I have learned one thing through the years have one reel with a 4 foot rod, this is used to fish inside boat docks, especially around the new lift systems.... I have several docks on Hickory in 20 feet of water and the cover is located inside the boat slip,,, very productive in the winter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast