Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who else throws cork/jigs?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Who else throws cork/jigs?

I was just wondering how many other guys fish cork/jig rigs as the primary method of crappie fishing. I fish Wappapello most and reelfoot a couple times a year. We fish from LATE December trough late April mostly. The casting jigs/cork is how we do 99% of our fishing. We use two jigs tied about 1'-1.5' apart under a 1" float.

This seems to be a pretty popular method of fishing on Wapp, but NOT on reelfoot. We tried it last year at reelfoot in early Feberuary for the first time with great results after a buddy started fishing there like that last year. We used to fish deeper water there with long poles untill we figured out we could catch then by casting floats/jigs.

just wondering
    longshot

Post Thanks / Like

Down South they call that the "float and fly" method of crappie fishing. It's a great way to catch shallower water crappie. I have done a lot of it on Truman in the Springtime.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Post Thanks / Like

I use it on Truman in the spring and sometimes in the winter in the creeks.

Post Thanks / Like

This method of fishing is great when fish are holding @ 8' or less. We fish that dept on our home lake 99% of the time from fall-spring. This weekend we caught fish on Sun. in 15' of water 3' deep them they moved up on the flat that was 5-7' but still 3' deep. Saturday we got em in @ 6' of water 3' down. Our crappie move onto shallow flats most every day in that time period to feed. We love to cast to the fish instead of spider rigging.

thanks
    longshot

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like ya got a pattern , go get'em
    Supreme Leader of the Missouri Crappie Militia.........

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Great way to fish in the springtime on Truman. I like the weighted foam floats. Or some that walleye fisherman use I think they call them wagglers.

Post Thanks / Like

Bobber and jig is great when they're up shallow and the wind is blowing. Lots of times on Truman in the spring when the wind is blowing I will find them on the bank with a crappie slider, tie up the boat and throw bobber with jigs 20" down. You can take a bunch more off the bank if you're not on and off the motor, holding position. Pop one on a slider and grab a tree.
    Jim - Have boat - will travel.

Post Thanks / Like

Never tried it but I'll give it a try next time out. What weight of jig do you use?

Post Thanks / Like

Was actually fishing that method today actually with a small weighted slip bobber and tube jig. Very slow steady retrieve with a few slight intermittent jerks inbetween. Caught alot of small crappie and panfish but could not find a big fish pattern today.....This method will definitely take big fish though when you can find a Fleet of big ones!!!! A killer when there's good wind and wave action on large shallow flats!!!!!

IF YOU'RE FISHIN ON CREDIT, YOU'D BETTER SWITCH TO DEBIT!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have used this method with a slip bobber in the spring and summer it works extremely well. I like the slip bobber since it allows me to cast further. I like to cast into trees hitting them and then letting the jig slowly drop. I believe hitting the tree helps the fish know something is there and see it as food. Never tried it in colder temps, but I will now.

Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast