Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Minnow traps

Post Thanks / Like

Question Minnow traps

I've been playing around with them for a while now, has any body found a really good bait to lure the minnows into the traps, I've got wire traps, plastic traps they all catch minnows but not numbers, I ounce found a trap in the creek that I don't think you could get another minnow in it, all rusted up and ready to fall apart and laying 1/3 out of the water,does any body out there have any sugestions? Jim:

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Jim ....

Quote Originally Posted by jim680t
    I've been playing around with them for a while now, has any body found a really good bait to lure the minnows into the traps, I've got wire traps, plastic traps they all catch minnows but not numbers, I ounce found a trap in the creek that I don't think you could get another minnow in it, all rusted up and ready to fall apart and laying 1/3 out of the water,does any body out there have any sugestions? Jim:
    Here's a previous thread you might find interesting : http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showth...highlight=trap

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I've been told to use sardines, an older guy told me that the oil attracts them. I have never tried it though. Let us know if it works.
    Your not fishing, unless your crappie fishing!

Hardyville Hart Co, Ky,45min fromNolin, 50 min. Green 55 min. Barren 75 min Dale!
    Post Thanks / Like

Cat food pellets
    Rowdy
    Remember This Beautiful World is
    ''Only Temperary Housing''!

Rowdy

Post Thanks / Like

I have trapped creek minnows for walleye fishing most of my life, and I've found that dry dog food works as good as anything, and is very convenient to use. I like the galvanized wire traps best, particularly after the shine is gone.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Minnow trap

Well thanks for all the advice fellows, went out and got some cat food fish flavor, went down to the creek, and the rain has got it pretty high and fast moving,did find one spot that might keep it in place,but when it slows down again I'll put 3 or 4 traps in there, than i'll see how good the cat food works out. Thanks again Jim