Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Mono Weed Guards on Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mono Weed Guards on Jigs

Anyone ever tried this on jigs? I think it'd work very well, and plan to offer them on my jigs in the near future. Jigs hang with the hook up, so the crappie will bite down on the hook anyway and push the weed guard out of the way, but it should be strong enough to bounce the jig off branches and whatnot.

For anyone who doesn't know how to tie them, you take a piece of heavy mono (I'd probably use 10-15 lb test for 1/8th-1/32nd oz. jigs, and size down for smaller jigs), crimp one end so it lays flat on the hook and tie it down from the beginning of the hook down to the bend of the hook before you tie anything on the jig, then tie the rest of your jig normally, then after you finish and tie your knot, bring back the loose end up to the jig head and tie it down making the loop a little larger than the curve of the cook.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smoothlures
    Anyone ever tried this on jigs? I think it'd work very well, and plan to offer them on my jigs in the near future. Jigs hang with the hook up, so the crappie will bite down on the hook anyway and push the weed guard out of the way, but it should be strong enough to bounce the jig off branches and whatnot.

For anyone who doesn't know how to tie them, you take a piece of heavy mono (I'd probably use 10-15 lb test for 1/8th-1/32nd oz. jigs, and size down for smaller jigs), crimp one end so it lays flat on the hook and tie it down from the beginning of the hook down to the bend of the hook before you tie anything on the jig, then tie the rest of your jig normally, then after you finish and tie your knot, bring back the loose end up to the jig head and tie it down making the loop a little larger than the curve of the cook.

Or you can just make a custom mold that pours it already in the head. They are a little aggrevating to tie unless you know a few tricks that comes with years of trial and error. But they do make a nice jig. One of my best customers, before his passing, would have nothing else but a weedless jig, either tied or poured body, they had to be weedless. He was a great fisherman...We miss yea Mike.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrouseFly
    Or you can just make a custom mold that pours it already in the head. They are a little aggrevating to tie unless you know a few tricks that comes with years of trial and error. But they do make a nice jig. One of my best customers, before his passing, would have nothing else but a weedless jig, either tied or poured body, they had to be weedless. He was a great fisherman...We miss yea Mike.
    I would think an extended reach whip finish tool would help tying that kind of jig head.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

East TN, Douglas,Cherokee,Watuga and South Holston
    Post Thanks / Like

lets see a picture
    Speck

Real men troll for crappie (Here Fishy Fishy !)