Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Maps for Garmin 178c

Post Thanks / Like

Default Maps for Garmin 178c

Anyone know what maps I should consider buying for my 178c? Any preferences...disk or SD card? I looked on the Garmin website and did not see too many options. Is it because my unit has been discontinued. Thought one of you guys may have some answers. By the way I live in Tenn.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

they are discontinued but you can still see and order on there website,go to the discontinued section and they are available there,they will accept the mapsource data cards,not sd cards,i have the 398c and it comes preloaded with inland lakes,dont know if the 178 does or not,i know boaters world carries them,or you can get the blank data card and get the mapsource cd and download only what you need in the card for your use

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 178 not the 178c and I'm pretty sure the Mapsource is your only option as far as maps go. You can buy the card for your region ( I think it's the East region, at least it was for me in MS) or you can do what i did and get the CD to load on your PC and a blank card to transfer from PC to GPS and back again. You will need the card reader for your PC though. There is also a data cable that provides power to the unit from a wall outlet that you can transfer from the PC as well, but I went the blank card route.

Be sure to check Ebay for the pieces and parts you decide on. The mapsource cards and software comes up pretty regularly there and you can save a few $ if you're patient.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the data cable so all I need is the map cd...right? Do all mapsource maps work with all garmin units or are they unit specific, i.e. this set of maps will work on the Garmin 178 but not on the 780c. Thanks for your help.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd hate to tell you something and it be wrong, but I think that you are right...all Mapsource will work with Garmin. But please, call Garmin support to check before you order it. Even though it's discontinued, they will give you info on your unit. I called before I ordered my stuff and they were pretty helpful.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool...I'll call them and make sure before I order anything. Happy Fishing!