Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Cold Water

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cold Water

I was wonderin' if some of you would share your experience about COLD water crappie fishing. In Southern Ohio the water rarely gets safe ice, if ice at all.....but close. Where do the fish go when the water suface is mid to low 30's. Is it possible for them to go 30+ feet deep? How about 40+? Is it true the bait/lure must be presented slow or with no motion? What set-up seems to work best....jigs/minnow/wax worms or a combo? Also do white bass hang around in the same area as crappie this time of year?(catching a few) This is the first year I've been fishing in this cold of water, and not to sucessful....YET! Thanks for any guidance.

Post Thanks / Like

Im in the same boat as you nightprowler on the cold water situation, ours rarely freezes. But on our lakes we find the crappies on the steepest of drop offs with structure. They will literally stack on these ledges where 20-30 fish a brush pile is very likeyl. The water we fish is anywhere from 10-20 feet tops. I know that on our lakes atleast what works best for me is a bobber and jig combo because the fish seem to be spooky. 1/16oz jig and tube work wonders with the cork set apporx. 2ft above the brush. Very little motion works best...a pop or two every 30 seconds is best for us.

Hope this helps!

Post Thanks / Like

Go fish the deeper holes when it is cold out.Use slower and smaller presentations.Look for fish to be suspended about half way down.
    Count down till you find fish that are active.Don't be afraid to experiment
    with really small to micro sized jig sizes.Sizes as small as 1/124 oz.Crappies feed up.

Good luck.
    CrappieMagnet

Post Thanks / Like

Right on CM!

Post Thanks / Like

Where I'm ice fishing most of my crappies are coming out of 12-16 fow real close to 20 fow in this lakes arm.If there wasn't ice there right now I would be fishing over the side of the boat with a 24" micro light spinning rod with small ice jigs or small jigging spoons tipped with a wax worm.If no boat,I would use the smallest bobber I could get by with.When the water gets cold and they are negative it is unbelievable how light they will bite.Oh yes,I would also be using a good flasher unit that I could see the jig and fish.With a Vexilar or comparable flasher you'll know if they're down there,what depth and get an idea how they're reacting to your bait. Here is where you can find some nice ice lures that work well at http://www.customjigsandspins.com/ and also check out Micro Spoons & Jigs listed on the site here under small jig/lure manufacturers.
    :D Give a man a crappie you feed him for a day...teach a man to fish for crappie and get rid of him for the weekend!!!

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=lebruce][B]Where I'm ice fishing most of my crappies are coming out of 12-16 fow real close to 20 fow in this lakes arm.If there wasn't ice there right now I would be fishing over the side of the boat with a 24" micro light spinning rod with small ice jigs or small jigging spoons tipped with a wax worm.If no boat,I would use the smallest bobber I could get by with.When the water gets cold and they are negative it is unbelievable how light they will bite.Oh yes,I would also be using a good flasher unit that I could see the jig and fish.With a Vexilar or comparable flasher you'll know if they're down there,what depth and get an idea how they're reacting to your bait.

We fish the same way just before iceup.