Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Electronic Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Electronic Question

Having a problem somewhere in my electrical system ..after running to a spot and fishing awhile when I restart my motor my console depth finder cuts off..I have 2 starting batteries with a switch.. it does this evertime when it is set to battery 1 and sometimes on battery 2..Batteries are 2 years old and the unit is new Lowrance 529..Was thinking a short or bad batteries but was hoping for a tip to save me sometime troubleshooting.. anyone had this happen before??? Thanks for any help.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

What is happening is your 529 is shutting off due to low voltage when you start the motor. First check your charging ciruit on the motor. The simplest way is read the voltage at the battery with the motor off then read it again with the motor running. As you slowly increase RPMs you should see an increase in voltage. If this checks good have your batteries load tested. Note that if you have ever connected your batteries up backwards, even for a split second, your rectifier is toast and will have to be replaced.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

My Humminbird does show a low voltage warning everytime I start the engine. It doesn't cut off but warns me of the situation. I have a new battery but I am starting a 115 Horse Mercury. I think this is normal
    THE BANDIT
    1 Corinthians 2:2.----Nothing else counts!!
    "This one thing I know, and that is Jesus Christ and Him crucified."

Post Thanks / Like

Couple of things could be at play here.
    What is your humminbird set at to identify low voltage? My humminbird low battery warning is adjustable. I determine at what voltage it comes on. What is yours set at?

Also, when starting a motor you are putting a huge initial draw on the battery. Hench a cranking battery verse a deep cycle battery for starting. Sounds like that draw is sucking the battery below your low volatge warning.

Depending on your voltage drop, this could also be an early indicator that your battery is losing a cell, or is low on acid, or needs a good charge. get the battery load tested. Most auto parts stores do it for free.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Just turn the alarms off. That is if you have the option (which you should).

You don't need an alarm to tell you when the battery is low. The motor will grunt at ya.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

The bow unit 5000c shuts down all most every time and the other sounders and 5300c don,t ??
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frank lawhead View Post
    The bow unit 5000c shuts down all most every time and the other sounders and 5300c don,t ??

What size wire feeds the bow unit and how far is it?
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN View Post
    What size wire feeds the bow unit and how far is it?
    Don,t know the wire size--dealer installed it [ when rigging] ---the connection from unit to the boat wiring is only about 30 inch. --same as the sonar
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I personally keep a small "cranking" battery for the motor and have my running lights connected to it. All other Power for the boat is supplied by a bigger Deep Cycle and just bought a third battery to use as a backup. My MinnKota tends to drain one in about three hours of semi hard use. Using a separate battery for the big motor insures me to have power to get back to the ramp.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

I had a similar problem when I first got my boat--the HB would shut off sometimes when I started my engine. I had too small a battery to power my electronics, and accessorys. Put on a larger battery, and no problems since.