Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Death Star's (Grizzly's PVC Sphere)

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Death Star's (Grizzly's PVC Sphere)

Hello All,

I just purchased some Death Stars (Grizzly PVC Sphere) :D I have a three ac pond that has crappie in it. I know because I caught one last year that went 2 1/2 lbs. I have never fish for crappie in this pond before, but wish to now. Here is a little details about the pond. At the dam, it is 23ft deep, and around the edges it avg's 1 - 10 deep and gets deeper the further away fro the bank you get. I just purchased some of the Grizzly pvc sphere's to place is the pond, in hopes to attact some crappeies. Now here are my questions. #1, How big (tall) should I make the (grizzly sphere's)? #2 Where should I place the sphere's (how deep of water) ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ed :p

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default My suggestion

Put them where u wanna fish..... Place the stuff where your shadow will not cast upon the water that u intend to fish. This will spook the fish. In other words keep the sun in your face , whatever time u fish. Noon don't matter. I have observed spooky fish from my boatdock over the years, so I just seak up on them at certain times of the day. It does make a difference. Noises such as yaking doesn' spook them, but if u bump against something in the water, such as brush, etc...they gone for a while. Just observations over the years here. No scientific facts.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

what are death stars?
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Hey Bugman ....

"Death Stars" is just a nickname some of us on the board came up with .... the actual product is called "No Hang Fish Habitat" (on http://www.grizzlyjig.com/ ). Ken "Killer" Palmer brought these to our attention, late last year. He buys the "center piece" and puts his own PVC pipes in them, somewhat longer pieces than the "kit" contains.
    They just kinda remind you of the "Death Star" from Star Wars fame :D
    They do seem to work, as several members have reported placing them in their waters and catching fish from around them. ............cp

Post Thanks / Like

Personal observation is how science is done. Your personal research does count. You are right about them being spooked when you hit the brush pile. If you can see the fish then they may be able to see you too. In fact there is much more sunlight reflecting off of you than off the fish under the water. Fish can see out of the water and into the air pretty well.

Are the crappie coming into the water by your dock yet?

I am trying to figure out the best time to come down to your part of the lake for crappie spawn. Just once I would really like to get into a bunch of big slabs and catch a limit in one day. Having fished KY lake all those years it took us a week to really load up the live well. We mostly fished when dad could get off from school. So most of the time it was raining or cold as Heck down there and the crappie were not spawning in the shallow waters. Most of the crappie we caught were in deeper water out near the mouth of cypress Bay. The first cove to the North after you enter cypress bay was a good spot at times. We would fish along the drop offs on the West Side of the bay. Never found any crappie in the back of that bay in the shallow water though. They were all out in the middle part of Cypress bay. There were lots of boats along the Northern Part of the Middle section of the Bay. There were some dropoffs there that the crappie staged on. When we fished that bay in the past I didn't know what I know about crappie today. I would fish that area much harder these days and still may go down there and try my luck in the future. Only one time did I see someone catching big crappie in the shallow waters of cypress bay. That was when it got calm and the water warmed up and the sun was shinning a lot that day. This old guy was catching them in 1ft of water in the very back of the end of cypress bay. Water was so shallow that I could hardly get the boat in there. He was fishing out of a small john boat and only had to oar across the bay to get to the spot. I figure he has some brush piles or stake beds in that water that he put out when the lake was low. He could easily walk across the mud flat from his dock when the water was down to winter pool. He may have dug out a pit there too. But he sure had a honey spot for big crappie that day. I watched him pull a lot of big slabs out of that spot in an hours time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole
    Put them where u wanna fish..... Place the stuff where your shadow will not cast upon the water that u intend to fish. This will spook the fish. In other words keep the sun in your face , whatever time u fish. Noon don't matter. I have observed spooky fish from my boatdock over the years, so I just seak up on them at certain times of the day. It does make a difference. Noises such as yaking doesn' spook them, but if u bump against something in the water, such as brush, etc...they gone for a while. Just observations over the years here. No scientific facts.
    Regards,

Moose1am