Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Side Imaging

Post Thanks / Like

Default Side Imaging

Has anyone heard anything about lowrance ,or garmin working on side image fishfinders?

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I asked Lowrance some time ago if they were going to come out with anything like that but they wouldn't say. I just got a canned answer.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I wish they would. That would make the prices come down.

Post Thanks / Like

Default howferg

I did just go to a seminar on the S I Hummin bird and the instructor said Lowrance had worked on one but ,his thoughts were if it wasn't out yet they weren't successful with it.I would like to see a more reasonable price myself . Lowrance will be bringing their new stuff out in january.

Post Thanks / Like

I was told that Humminbirds Paten would not run out for 10+ years. So don't think you will be seeing anything for a long while.
    But you never know. The others may come out with something that does it better and at half the price.
    Pete

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShilohRed
    I was told that Humminbirds Paten would not run out for 10+ years. So don't think you will be seeing anything for a long while.
    But you never know. The others may come out with something that does it better and at half the price.
    Pete
    Their patent probably could not stop Lowrance from manufacturing a sidescan unit. Sidescan technology has been around a long time. Patents can be overcome with a new form, fit or function. Towfish sidescan has been around a long time. It is very similar to Humminbirds stuff.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

it has ben around . i had a side scan over 10 years ago i think it was lowrance . it went out . i sent it back for repairs . they couldn`t fix it . the parts wasen`t avaible and they said it gave so much orobablems they wasen`t making side scan anymor . they offered another finder at a reduced price . i decline and bought a hummingbird . i still have a old hummingbird that has the side scan that they first came out with . i don`t use it anymore for side scan .i am more interested waht is under the boat . would buy the newer verson if it wasen`t so expensive . the old verson onley show to the side and change it to streight down . not all at the same time . msy try it again sins i have started shooting docks for crappie
    Last edited by papasage; 11-26-2007 at 06:21 AM.
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Theres a huge difference between side scan and side imagining.The old Lowrance ones were a knock off off the bottomline which they lost that lawsuit and had to quit making them.Since Lowrance was bought out by another company,it seems theyve been concentrating more on radar than sideimaging.Humminbird is pretty confident with their patent protection.I do know that several top engineers have left Lowrance and are now working for bird.