Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: How to fish bambo condo?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to fish bambo condo?

I am very impressed with the bambo condo's and plan to build a bunch and also make some stake beds. I was wondering, do you jig bottom to top of them or fish mostly over them. That would dictate placement IE depth of the water placed in and the height of the condo. I have a floating dock that is 11 ft in front and 15 feet at the back. I wouldn't want to put tall condo's if they are mostly fished over the top. Guess stake beds and stumps would be more effective there.
    -Could you condo pros elaberate on how to fish them during the four seasons as per depth of water and height of the condo,
    Thanx
    God Bless America
    In God We Trust

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

You can use a slip bobber and fish right on top of it or inside the bamboo condos...Or you can just use a jig....Majority of the time you can free the snags out of the bamboo..

Jerry Blake and Darryl Morris probably can give some more insight on how to fish the bamboo condos..

Jeremy
    Thanks
    Bye

Post Thanks / Like

Do the condo's hold the crappie from top to bottom or next to it more than in it. Wonder how they would hold; if they are at 20 feet would that be at 20 feet at the bottom of a condo and 20 feet at the top of a condo in deeper water?
    God Bless America
    In God We Trust

Post Thanks / Like

My boo condos are 15 - 18 ft tall and I got them in 38 - 42 ft of water under bridges...... I catch the most fish over the condo.... if you put them close to the columns you know exactly where they are....
    Hope this helps.........
    Good fishing...

Post Thanks / Like

I helps; seems like alot of the condos produce over the tops in deep water. Wonder if most crappie are cought over the top? If so wonder if that is because they feed up more so they come up for it or are they hanging around the perimeter of the structures?

-Out past my dock their is a creek 60 ft in the middle but flats of 30 and 40 ft on each side of it. It looks like I'll put tall condos in the deep flats and drop off next to the creek, up to my 15 feet at back end of the dock.
    -Build stump buckets with stakes and pvc for placing all around and under the dock up to the walkway with horizontal condos in the shallow.
    -Maybe that'll invite em to go up and down the different depths for the 4 seasons. Looks like I need to create a variety of the condos for this. Dang that sounds like fun work.
    Last edited by redneckradtech; 11-18-2007 at 12:42 AM.
    God Bless America
    In God We Trust

Post Thanks / Like

I guess the answer to your question is the crappie will be at a different depth every week. Usually in the spring and fall the fish will be shallow, summer and winter they will be deep.

Usually when you leave the boat launch with your depth finder on, you will begin to see fish appear at a consistent depth as you cross the lake.

When I reach my bamboo condos I will fish initially at that depth with a slip cork. If the fish I catch are small I'll try a couple of feet deeper. If I don't get any bites I'll shallow up a couple of feet. If they are suspended above the tops they are usually pretty easy to catch by just casting a small 1/16 oz. jig to them.

So sometimes the crappie suspend over the tops and sometimes they are on the bottom around the base of the tops.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanx Spiderman:
    This past summer I did notice alot of fish suspended 30 ft in 60 ft creek channel. I think my next week link is my depth finder, need to upgrade that to see what Ive been missing.
    Last edited by redneckradtech; 11-19-2007 at 01:27 PM.
    God Bless America
    In God We Trust

Post Thanks / Like

Hey there redneckradtech. Sorry for the delay in responding to your thread. Jerry Blake and myself have put out over 200 of the crappie condos in Lake Greeson this year. Ninety-nine percent of our crappie fishing is done on these condos. The ones we build average 12' tall, so we drop them in water from 18' to 35'. Of course, the deepest ones are for summer and winter fishing. The 18'-25' range are for spring and fall when the crappie like to stage and stack up on the brushpiles. We are now building Mega Mats for shallower water. We use a gps to get us on the condo and then use our sonar graph to tell us where the fish are holding. Sometimes, when they are feeding aggressively, you'll find them holding over the top of the condo. At other times the crappie will be down in the condo. So you fish above it hoping they'll come out after it or just fish right down in it because the bamboo is very forgiving when you get snagged. There are times when you'll see the fish down near the bottom around the bucket. The upsidedown cone shape of the condo allows the crappie to get under it like they like to do. Live bait under a slip float set to their depth or pitching a jig tightline style are our two presentation methods. When we pitch the jig we want them to hit it on the fall. Great fun. When they're deep we'll drop the jig right down through the condo to the depth they are holding. Most of the time wood brushpiles are fished over the top. With the bamboo condos you can fish down in them and if you don't set your hook on the boo you can just slowly bounce around in them quite easily.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Thanx, understand much better. I appreciate (understatement) your and Jerry's post on the boo condos. Night and day contrasting what I have been putting in. I pulled my pvc trees out rom under my dock and dropped them in 30 ft next to a creek channel. These have mostly horizontal arms, and the big cedar out too. Will make Stake beds and short boo to tall boo condos and will get busy this winter making them and putting em out along the debths you mentioned. The future looks good - Thanx Guys
    God Bless America
    In God We Trust

Post Thanks / Like

Default When your done

Quote Originally Posted by redneckradtech
    Thanx, understand much better. I appreciate (understatement) your and Jerry's post on the boo condos. Night and day contrasting what I have been putting in. I pulled my pvc trees out rom under my dock and dropped them in 30 ft next to a creek channel. These have mostly horizontal arms, and the big cedar out too. Will make Stake beds and short boo to tall boo condos and will get busy this winter making them and putting em out along the debths you mentioned. The future looks good - Thanx Guys
    Hey when your done let me know where they are and I would be more than wiling to try them out for you. :p