Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: History Of The Crappie Condo

Post Thanks / Like

Default History Of The Crappie Condo

This is the first model that I built several years ago. My granddaughters wrote welcome messages on it for the Crappie.
    One message was "welcome to the Crappie club condo". I thought the name "Crappie Condo" was neat so I started using it and started posting it on the internet. To the best of my knowledge, that's where the name came from. Over the years it's gotten to be in common usage everywhere. I've seen these same photos posted on many web sites.

Below are several of the many designs that I've used over the years.

Tried this model for small ponds that we fished from shore. Our jigs would get hung on it so I changed it to:

This model. It really works great and you rarely get hung. I like to put 2 or 3 together.

(base is a gallon jug, two 4' pieces of 1/2" pvc thru holes near the bottom, fill jug with concrete. four elbow fittings and five vertical pvc about 24" long. one at each arm end and one in the center . To hold the pot I put a long screw thru the pvc, place the pot on and another screw on top to keep it in place.) The bucket under it is not part of it, just to display it.

You can use anything made of plastic in your condos

We tried these tied to the tops of the previous model

My wife said I was turning into Fred Sanford because I couldn't pass up any junk plastic furniture on the curb for the trash man

Pyramid worked but was too much trouble to build and put out

A friend tried this one

This one is the best one we have come up with yet

Don't know for sure if anyone else also came up with that name but I don't think so.
    Last edited by ERNEST PATY; 11-19-2007 at 07:35 AM.
    Good fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey if you or you grandkids invented it all I can say is THANKS to bad you didn't patented it...

Post Thanks / Like

Default buckets

How did you cut up the buckets? What type of tool?

Post Thanks / Like

I DOUBT THAT WE INVENTED IT, JUST GAVE IT A NAME THAT STUCK. FISHERMEN HAVE BEEN MAKING CRAPPIE STRUCTURE FOR MANY YEARS.

IF YOU THINK ABOUT IT I DOUBT THAT MUCH OF WHAT ANY OF US DO IS ORIGINAL. WE ALL LEARNED FROM SOMEONE ELSE. MAYBE IMPROVED THINGS A BIT.

I HAVE LOST A LOT OF SLEEP OVER THE YEARS THINKING ABOUT HOW TO GAIN AN EDGE ON THOSE SPECKELED CRITTERS.

I USE A SKILL SAW TO CUT MY BUCKETS. IT'S A LOT OF WORK BUT I LOVE IT.

Good fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey Ernest

I watched your video today and it was great. In the video you said that you use 10 foot long pvc pipe on your condos. How do you get it over the side of your boat once on the water to sink it. Do you give it a toss? Do you have pics of that?
    Thanks
    sethook

James 1:17 Every good and perfect gift is from above.......

Post Thanks / Like

At the time the video was made we were using the wagon wheel spoke type condo. We usually launch all types the same. I have a 1x12 thats 8' long that I lay across the gunnels of my boat. I set the unit on one end to assemble it and then slide the board out as far as I can support the weight and then tip it until the unit gently slides off. Throw a marker directly on top as it sinks so you can properly place the other units around it.
    Good fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your post, every idea can be a gem to someone who needs it
    God Bless America
    In God We Trust

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Thanks!

Thanks from CRAPPIE UNLIMITED we are a group that believes in putting structure in the lakes. You are doing a fine job, your condo's look great! Check us out at WWW. CRAPPIEUNLIMITED.COM, Thanks, Terry.
    Terry Whaley
    www. weisslakeguide.com
    EGO NETS SOUTHERN PRO

Post Thanks / Like

Well I have caught a few fish on each condo that I have put out.
    Maybe I should do like your granddaughters and write on them.
    Something like CRAPPIE CONDO FIRST 90 DAYS FREE RENT....

Sam W.
    Let's go fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ernest,

Have a question about the pond condo the one with the flower pots on it...Does it usally stay standing up when you drop into the water?....I am thinking the flower pots keep it upright when sinking in the water...Just get back with me and let me know..

Jeremy
    Thanks
    Bye

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast