Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Info on West Point

Post Thanks / Like

Default Info on West Point

I'm going to spend Mar 20 through Mar 25 of this month at west point. Taking the popup to Holiday campground. My work schedule won't let me fish before then so any reports between now and the Mar 20 would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

not my report but here is a good one from today.
    http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=14441

Dustin Pate
    Senior Member Join Date: Sep 2004

Caught the fire out of crappie at West Point!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fished way upriver today for crappie and the off chance for white bass. We found both with the majority being crappie. Started off the morning trolling for crappie up above Snake Creek. Only caught one white bass which surprised me due to water temp. After lunch we moved above Glovers and fished back down catching nothing. Moved into Glovers and finally got into the fish. The white bass were hanging right in the mouth. Only caught 7 but they were full of eggs waiting for the water to warm. Another boat was catching crappie every cast in the back of the creek but there really wasn't enough room. They got tired and left leaving the creek open for me and my dad. We proceeded to catch crappie on just about every cast for an hour and 45 minutes. I don't know how many we caught but it was well over 50. We used 2 inch blue/black Kalin jigs. Casting towards the banks and scattered stumps produced smaller fish. If you could get it past them the slabs were hanging right in the channel. It was the best crappie fishing I've ever gotten into.

The water temp was running in the mid 50's. The hybrids and other whites should be up next weekend if the weather holds. I think the whites we caught today came up with the warm weather from a few weeks ago and are just holding until the water warms. We'll be at it again next weekend and I can't wait.

I didn't get as many pictures as I would have liked but here are a few. I didn't feel like putting the rod down to do a photo-op. First pic is me with big crappie.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like they started without me. Last year I didn't get to go until the last week of April. Two cold fronts that week with three days of cold miserable rain but I caught fish so it was a great trip. They were just about any where you looked either coming back deep or shallow. Had to adjust every day real challenging. Thanks for the report. Ther seems to be a lot of controversy over hi-viz line and clear line. I use clear but I'm wondering since reading so much. What do you think?