Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dying Hair ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dying Hair ?

Does anyone of you dye your hair for jigs?Was wondering if so ,can you explain the process? I've seen alot of nice jigs here.Thanks Mark,,,

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dye hair

Hi Mark,

I have not actually done the process but I have done a lot of checking into it. I will give you some information I have found that I beleive will be very helpful. Here is a link to using the Rit Dye used for clothing and there is a custom color chart for custom color mixes http://www.basketclass.com/ritdye.html . I think this would be a cheap way to give it a try. Another method that from what little I know is more advanced and does not fade as quickly is made by Orco and this is a very informative site, http://www.organicdye.com

I hope this will be useful to you or other:D
    Brandon Jennings
    Bayou Crappie ETC

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rit will work---But

I have dyed with Rit, but get dye as hot as possible without ruining the tails. Very important to use a mordant such as salt.
    By Googling up [ dying feathers ] You will find info very usefull for tail hair .Mike

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You can also dye with koolaid. http://www.thepiper.com/fiberart/koo...sic-howto.html
    What You Need:

Protein fiber (wool, alpaca, silk, etc.) made into loosely tied skeins.
    Unsweetened Kool-Aid packages. A good starting point is one package of Kool-Aid per one ounce of fiber.
    Water
    Vinegar
    For stovetop method: stainless steel or unchipped enamal pot. DO NOT use aluminum or cast iron. If you plan on dyeing more than a single ounce at a time, use a large soup pot.
    - or -
    For microwave method: Pyrex or other heat resistant glass pan, microwavable clear plastic wrap (such has Handi-Wrap or Saran Wrap). Masking tape to tape up the ends of the plastic wrap once you've wrapped the dye-saturated yarn.
    Small plastic spatula for mixing.
    Rubber gloves, otherwise you will end dyeing your fingers in the process.
    Heat source.
    The Basic Recipe:

As a starting point, for each ounce of fiber (spun or unspun) you plan on dyeing, use:

One package of unsweetened Kool-Aid
    Liquid (8 oz total):
    6 ounces of water 2 ounces of vinegar
    If you want the color to be less intense, use less Kool-Aid in the same amount of water. Conversely, more Kool-Aid will give you more color. For consistent results, dissolve the Kool-Aid in the water/vinegar solution and dilute the resulting solution.

Dyeing with Kool-Aid does not require a mordant.

Stovetop Method:

Soak fiber in hot water for at least 20 to 30 minutes.
    While it is soaking, make your Kool-Aid bath. For each package of Kool-Aid use 3 parts water to one part vinegar.
    Heat the dye solution to just below boiling.
    Remove your fiber from the hot water soak. Squeeze out excess water.
    Add your fiber to the dye bath. Be sure that the fiber is completely submerged in the dye solution. If necessary, add more water so your fiber is completely covered and ensure even dyeing . Adding some additional water will not affect the final result.
    Simmer for about 45 minutes or until all the color is gone. During this time, carefully turn the fiber periodically in the dye bath so it absorbs the color more evenly. When the color in the dye bath completely disappears - the bath becomes a clear colorless liquid or a white, milky liquid - depending on the flavor of Kool-Aid you used - turn off the burner.
    Let the solution cool until it reaches a temperature with which you can comfortably handle the fiber.
    Rinse the fiber thoroughly in water the same temperature as the dye bath. At this point you may want to wash the fiber with liquid dishwashing detergent and rinse thoroughly using the procedure that you normally use for washing yarn.
    Hang the fiber and let it air dry.

Here is how to dye bucktail or calf tail. I found this on a jig making forum for you.
    Dyeing bucktails is not all that difficult. First, using a sharp knife, debone the tails and remove the fat. The key is wash and degrease the bucktails in cold water. Use any household detergent (Tide works well as does Simple Green). Rinse well, be careful not to break hairs. I like to comb them to get all the burrs and other debris off, especially blood.You can utilize common vegetable dye on bucktails, just use hot water with the dye. I use a an old soup kettle to heat water and dye on my gas grill. Once water is over 180 degrees, shut off heat and put in cleaned tails and stir for about 10 minutes. Remove and hang to dry somewhere the family dog can't get to them. Once dry, plop tails into plastic bags and then freeze them. Remove from freezer as needed. No muss, no fuss, as long as you store in freezer. This has no effect on the hair as far as I can tell, which includes tying several bucktail jigs.

This is a great book for dyeing:
    "Dyeing and Bleaching Natural Fly-Tying Materials" by A.K.Best ISBN# 1-55821-214-0
    Here's an overview of the process:
    To de-grease before dying: 1/4 cup Wisk, 1/4 cup Joy(or Dawn)dish liquid & 1/4 cup Downy fabric softner mixed in 3 gallons hot tap water. After scraping as much fat off the tails, soak for 24 hrs. then rinse under running water, blot dry(don't wring).
    He boils 2 pks. of rit powder dye in 1 cup water to make his own liquid concentrate. This liquid concentrate is then added by tablespoons to a dye bath of 25 cups water, 1/4 cup white vinegar heated not over 140 degrees f .Add and test for strength of color you want as you stir then rinse/dry bucktails before storage.
    Last edited by shipahoy41; 11-12-2007 at 05:19 PM.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Have died a few deer tails with Rit, not that hard to do, but sometimes it is hard to get the color you want. Gave up dieing and just buy them now, cheaper in the long run.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank each one of you for the great info,
    Shipahoy: The info was out standing,But for no more than I'll tie I think Mike is right & buy it already dyed, I was wanting some small deer hair jigs in diff- colors, I use to tie all of my jigs but havn't in years, Again thnk each of you.MARK

Post Thanks / Like

Mark I will let you know how mine turns out. I have 12 deer tails I will try to dye next week. And have plans to get around 50 more next week.
    If it works i am happy. If not I will have some wild colored sauger jigs. LOL
    pete

Post Thanks / Like

I'll just live with the gray

Post Thanks / Like

Ive died with rit for years boil your product to remove any natural oils waxs. Then rinse well refill your pot ad your color boil for about 5 min. let cool. Rinse all well!!! Make sure your wife don't let your wife catch you and put your product into an old pillow case zip tie the end and toss it in the dryer.
    Mr. Plucker

Post Thanks / Like

Most of what I see and read is the absolute best dye for fly materials is Veniards Dyes.

Here is a good article about it and dying.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast