Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: First Time Boat Owner

Post Thanks / Like

Default First Time Boat Owner

Hey all - I think I may have finally found a boat to buy - the problem is - it will be my first one and I want to make sure I know what I'm getting myself in to :D

It's a 15 1/2 foot "bass" boat - but is perfect for crappie fishing...

Can anyone give me pointers on any of the following:

Backing down ramp/launching?

Retrieving onto trailer?

Storing after use?

Winterization?

Basic maintenance (for example, if I use it on a weekend in November, what would I need to do after use to avoid freezing problems)?

I know this is a VERY general topic and questions - but I also know by being on this board a lot that you all are very willing to share and help people out!

I appreciate anything you can let me know!

Thanks

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Red face

Not sure what your wanting to know about backing, but I was always told launch deep load shallow. After I pull mine out I always drop the motor down so the water will drain out. For an outboard I believe thats about it for cold weather. The best way to winterize is keep using it. Hope I helped a little.

Post Thanks / Like

boat= Bail out another thousand.

Remember that b4 u buy!

Post Thanks / Like

You don't say whether the boat is aluminum or fiberglass, but either way, 15 1/2 foot is not very big. I would review the type of water you intend to use it on and make a judgment based on what others are using on the same water. This boat would be too small for Lake of the Ozarks unless you were limiting yourself to a relatively small cove during the week. However, it would be fine on plenty of private lakes, small rivers, and smaller state parks.

Amish Bill is dead on regarding launching and loading. You don't want to put anymore trailer in the water than the absolute minimum to load. We refer to it as "don't bury the trailer." When launching, you want it deeper because you don't want the boat to labor in order to get off the trailer.

Far as backing down the ramp: 1) Go SLOW, 2) Anticipate where the trailer will go, 3) It doesn't take much of a correction to change direction if it is a long ramp. Also, be aware the length of the tow vehicle will determine how responsive the trailer will be (short wheel bases such as small SUVs respond quicker than long wheel based vehicles like a crew cab full sized pick up). Be patient, you won't be perfect everytime. For the record the other people around the ramp weren't professionals when they started either...

I have always tried to clean the boat as quickly as possible after use (fresh dirt and stains are easier to clean than stuff that is dry).

Side note: The US Coast Guard plaque on the boat will indicate the weight limits and power limits of the boat. As a general rule, the boat will perform the best with the maximum horsepower rating.

I have been around boats for over forty years, but have had my boats winterized by a professional for the last fifteen. I rely on my mechanic to follow proper procedure. Store inside if possible, it will make spring clean-up much easier.

Congratulations on joining the ranks of boat owners. Even though expensive and trying at times, there is nothing better than being able to get to the fishing spot you want to visit when you want to!!!
    Gadget Man

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mgoodin
    You don't say whether the boat is aluminum or fiberglass, but either way, 15 1/2 foot is not very big. I would review the type of water you intend to use it on and make a judgment based on what others are using on the same water. This boat would be too small for Lake of the Ozarks unless you were limiting yourself to a relatively small cove during the week. However, it would be fine on plenty of private lakes, small rivers, and smaller state parks.

Amish Bill is dead on regarding launching and loading. You don't want to put anymore trailer in the water than the absolute minimum to load. We refer to it as "don't bury the trailer." When launching, you want it deeper because you don't want the boat to labor in order to get off the trailer.

Far as backing down the ramp: 1) Go SLOW, 2) Anticipate where the trailer will go, 3) It doesn't take much of a correction to change direction if it is a long ramp. Also, be aware the length of the tow vehicle will determine how responsive the trailer will be (short wheel bases such as small SUVs respond quicker than long wheel based vehicles like a crew cab full sized pick up). Be patient, you won't be perfect everytime. For the record the other people around the ramp weren't professionals when they started either...

I have always tried to clean the boat as quickly as possible after use (fresh dirt and stains are easier to clean than stuff that is dry).

Side note: The US Coast Guard plaque on the boat will indicate the weight limits and power limits of the boat. As a general rule, the boat will perform the best with the maximum horsepower rating.

I have been around boats for over forty years, but have had my boats winterized by a professional for the last fifteen. I rely on my mechanic to follow proper procedure. Store inside if possible, it will make spring clean-up much easier.

Congratulations on joining the ranks of boat owners. Even though expensive and trying at times, there is nothing better than being able to get to the fishing spot you want to visit when you want to!!!
    Very good advice

I might add that some stabil is not a bad idea, and a heck of a lot cheaper than carb work
    Stinkies Daddy

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget the drain plug. I put mine in before i leave.
    Buzz

Post Thanks / Like

when i taught the boss(mrs) to back we went to a large(more than 40 acres,,he,he) vacant parking lot,,,start off by backing very slow,,,put your hand on the bottom side of the steering wheel,,if you want the trailer to go right move your hand to the right and just the opposite to go left,,practice backing into a vacant stall on the parking lot,,,,after a few tries backing down a ramp will be a breeze,also i stabil every thing even the mix gas for the mower and the leaf blowers,,,hope this helps...fuzz
    IT'S 5--O-CLOCK SOMEWHERE,,,MIKE-p

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Winterization is easy. Buy some heavy clothes and use the boat every weekend, It is the best time of the year.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

yes sir!

Post Thanks / Like

I would have to agree about the boat length:rolleyes: The first boat the wife and I bought was 15 1/2 ft single console - fiberglass - pretty old but in pretty good shape. We got a good deal and didn't want to spend a lot of cash in case we decided to quit fishing.

We were mostly fishing Pomme de Terre, and there was a time or two that we got to the damn area of that lake and my wife saw how rough the water was and she said "NO WAY" , so we would turn around and just fish the area we had just come from.

A few years later we upgraded to an 18 ft Champion - wow - no comparison on the difference in how it handles rough water! It doesn't catch any more fish, but at least you can go pretty much anywhere you want. Now I want to upgrade to a 20 ft.....still trying to convince the wife on that one

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast