Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: A Sample Beginner's List From Cabela's

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile A Sample Beginner's List From Cabela's

Source to get supplies.......Cabela's or Jann's Netcraft

These are REAL BASIC tools and materials you will need in fly tying. Learn to tie a basic Chenille jig and a Wooly Bugger to start with. You can spend A LOT more if you wish like getting a better vice etc. This will get you started and will catch some fish too.

Item

Rotary Vise
    Ceramic Bobbin
    Bobbin Threader
    3 ½ inch Straight Scissors
    Bodkin – to apply head cement
    1/32 ounce Jig Heads
    1/64 ounce jig heads
    1/16th ounce jig heads
    Chartreuse Chenille size #2
    Flat Waxed Nylon Red Thread
    Marabou - Chartreuse and other colors
    Neck Hackle
    Chartreuse Krystal Flash
    Head Cement
    Kip Tails
    Long Nymph #6 hooks (For Wooly Buggers)

TOTAL INDIVIDUAL STARTUP COST: up to you!

This is also in the archives.
    Last edited by shipahoy41; 07-25-2009 at 06:37 PM.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Save your money on the Bobbin Threader and get some of the dental floss threaders.

I use a Bodkin, but not for glue any more as I use one of the little plastic bottles with the long metal tip.

Make sure the whip finisher is a Matarelli style and not one of the fly tying ones.

And that chenille must be their Ultra chenille which I hardly use at all and the real stuff at Cabela's is 1.99 per 5 Yard card.

The 2.99 Bobbins I would be careful of too.

So be careful what you buy that you can't hardly use. Save your self some grief.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the posts Ship and Skip.
    As a starting tier it is a great help.

Why not make it a "Sticky"

1perchjerker

Post Thanks / Like

Perch you may even find that janns net craft might save you a lil more $$$ if you check it out friend"i find some great deals in there all the time" like bobbins"i found on wed. sometimes"they will give away things like that w/ an order on wed. or thur. bobbins are like less than $2 i think "

"WELL"...YOU ASKED"NOBODY TELLS ME NOTH'N!!!

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1perchjerker View Post
    Thanks for the posts Ship and Skip.
    As a starting tier it is a great help.

Why not make it a "Sticky"

1perchjerker
    You're welcome. It should be a "Sticky" Glad it helped some.

Post Thanks / Like

^^ That has to be the easiest to read post that I have seen from Grub!

Anyways, great thread and trust me if you can keep if you get started and think it's going to be cheap you're in for a surprise! The start up isn't too bad but once you get into it...

It's addictive and you never have enough material to choose from. It adds up really quick I just threw down $80 on powder paint yesterday and went to 3 stores to get some new colors but there is still a ton more colors I want, but no local sources. As far as the other materials well I don't even want to add all that stuff up!

Flatfish has some nice stuff and good prices I need to place an order from him on some stuff. I use ChuckandDeb.com a lot as well. Just make sure you choose your sources well as I am starting to find that some of my feathers are junk the more I dig into the packages. These are all from local fly shops though I haven't had any problems with quality online yet but I haven't ordered any feathers online just some different types of hair.

Grub do you have a website or at least a list of supplies you sell?

Post Thanks / Like

Here are just two sample tying videos. There are more in the archives.

1) a basic chenille jig
    2) a Wooly Bugger

How to tie a Calf Tail
    YouTube - Tying A Calf's Tail Jig

CHENILLE JIG VIDEO

YouTube - Lego My Fly
    Wrap the starter thread on the hook shank. Add a drop of super glue. Tie in a two tone marabou tail. Add a drop of super glue.Tie in Krystal flash. Double over and add a half hitch knot. Begin to tie in the chenille and black striping or variegated chenille at the end of the tail feathers. (I only prefer my chenille body to be about 1/3 of the entire hook length. Usually about four turns.) Strip off some of the fibers so the inner thread is exposed and wrap that with the tying thread. Then bring the tying thread to the front. Wrap the chenille tightly about four turns to the front. Secure with a half hitch knot. Wrap the stripes to the front of the jig hook. Secure with two half hitch knots. Cut the extra off close to the jig body. Add a drop of super glue. Hang the fly to dry.

WOOLY BUGGER VIDEO

Woolly Bugger

YouTube - woolly bugger tutorial

YouTube - Wooly Bugger
    Last edited by shipahoy41; 07-25-2009 at 06:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jubs View Post
    ^^ That has to be the easiest to read post that I have seen from Grub!

Anyways, great thread and trust me if you can keep if you get started and think it's going to be cheap you're in for a surprise! The start up isn't too bad but once you get into it...

It's addictive and you never have enough material to choose from. It adds up really quick I just threw down $80 on powder paint yesterday and went to 3 stores to get some new colors but there is still a ton more colors I want, but no local sources. As far as the other materials well I don't even want to add all that stuff up!

Flatfish has some nice stuff and good prices I need to place an order from him on some stuff. I use ChuckandDeb.com a lot as well. Just make sure you choose your sources well as I am starting to find that some of my feathers are junk the more I dig into the packages. These are all from local fly shops though I haven't had any problems with quality online yet but I haven't ordered any feathers online just some different types of hair.

Grub do you have a website or at least a list of supplies you sell?
    I SELL GRIEF" JUBS"!!!ON SALE THIS WEEK, AND NEXT BUD"he"he":DASK ANYONE THAT KNOWS ME"NO I DON'T SELL MUCH.I BARTER ,AND TRADE ,AND LET MY FRIENDS IN ON GREAT DEALS NOW AND THEN"I ALWAYS HAVE A TON OF CUSTOM CHENILLE"A LOT A TIMES I'LL JUST GIVE YA LESSON I'M A NEED'N SOMP'N":D SO DARE YA HAVE IT"IN PLANE ENGLISH...WEELLL"FER DA MOS PART"HUH?
    YEAH???EVER WHAT YA THINK"LAY DOWN BABY ,I THINK I LOVE YA" LEAST HALF HOUR!"WHAD SHE SAY"!!!"MAYBE BABY???!!!SO TAKE DAT!!!:D
    Last edited by grubfarmer67; 08-10-2009 at 08:24 PM.

"WELL"...YOU ASKED"NOBODY TELLS ME NOTH'N!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Just throwing in my 2cents here. I get my supplies from Grandpa Bob's Custom Jigs. He has the fairest prices I can find anywhere, great customer service, has always found anything I ask for and fast shipping.

And, as others have already told you, it's very addictive. Every color and type of paint, chenille and feathers, etc. you see, believe me you will find that you must have and try out.

But, it is so much fun.
    "If it swims...I want to catch it"

Post Thanks / Like

good read , i am going to copy for future use i have been thinking about trying a fly rod for crappie for mayfly hatches