Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappie newbie - Just some general questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie newbie - Just some general questions

Hi, all! I've recently started to get the crappie bug and have a couple of questions...

I've been searching online for gear and have seen some crappie poles that are up to 12 feet long. Are those really necessary for fishing every now and then?

I mean, I've seen some people catching 10 to 12 inch crappie off a micro-lite rod with a pencil float and simple jig. I know the length would help in further casts, but like I said, I've seen alot of fish being caught on short rods.

I've been looking at picking up a set just for crappie since we've got a good lake not to far from my house for it (Stoney Creek in Michigan where the state record crappie was caught).

I don't have a boat to get onto the water nor do I have access to one. Just shore and dock fishing. And the budget for the new gear is pretty small so an inexpensive micro-lite set is what I have been looking to get.

I'm all set for bass fishing and have a regular 6'6" rod and spinning setup. I know I could use that, too, but I'd like to get a set just for crappie.

I know that finding the right tackle is going to take some time, that's a given, but it's just the main gear for fishing that I'm trying to find some suggestions on.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated! I did a search on rods and didn't come up with too much in the first few pages of results. I guess I don't want to buy something and then find out that I would have preferred something different.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Oddzilla; 10-19-2007 at 06:08 PM.

Crappie Xtreme is offline Moderator Illinois Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

It just depends on what style of fishing you are going to be doing. We here on Rend in IL fish in the spring in what is called buck brush. So you have to use the long poles to reach up over the brush. I also use mine for just general crappie fishn over sets and brush.

CX.
    IL board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome To Crappie.com Oddzilla. The Thing About The Micro Cast And Mini Cast Is The Price. If You Go To Wally World You Can Get Into A Fairly Good Rig For 30 Bucks. With 6 Lb. Test Line And A 1/8 Ounce Jig Head You Can Fling That Thing 30 Ft. No Problem. Buy 3 Or 4 Basic Colors Of Jigs ( Long As One Is Chartreuse) And Your In Business. Fishing From The Bank And Docks The Short Rod Will Keep You Out Of Trouble And Out Of The Trees. Hey If You Decide You Don't Like It There Ain't Nothing More Fun Than Catching Big Gills With An Ultra Lite Rig. I Know What Its Like To Fish On A Small Budget. One Thing About The Short Rods Though, Might Want To Invest In A Net Being Your Going To Be Fishing Where They Grow Them Big-uns! Good Luck.

Post Thanks / Like

if you will be vertical fishing or trolling, you will want longer rods. Most folks here use 14' for trolling, 10-12' for vertical jigging and 9 foot or less for shallow water spawning. Me...I use all 3 depending upon the time of year...Right now every short rod I have is put up until spring. 12-14' only thing in the boat. The fish here hold around 10-16 foot this time of year and if I have to reach down to 13-14' with a 10' pole, it sux. Not as easy to detect the bite. I would never stand and hold a 14' pole but troll in a rod holder. 12' Mr. Crappie Wally Marshall at BPS are nice for vertical fishing and his 14', 3 piece are nice for trolling. Oh and for vertical fishing all you need the cheap $5 reel to hold the line. For some longer most people go with a small spinning reel.
    Last edited by sac-a-lait; 10-19-2007 at 08:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I rarely use anything over 7 feet long when crappie fishing and do just fine.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Oddzilla ... IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Oddzilla
    Hi, all! I've recently started to get the crappie bug and have a couple of questions...
    I've been searching online for gear and have seen some crappie poles that are up to 12 feet long. Are those really necessary for fishing every now and then?
    I mean, I've seen some people catching 10 to 12 inch crappie off a micro-lite rod with a pencil float and simple jig. I know the length would help in further casts, but like I said, I've seen alot of fish being caught on short rods.
    I've been looking at picking up a set just for crappie since we've got a good lake not to far from my house for it (Stoney Creek in Michigan where the state record crappie was caught).
    I don't have a boat to get onto the water nor do I have access to one. Just shore and dock fishing. And the budget for the new gear is pretty small so an inexpensive micro-lite set is what I have been looking to get.
    I'm all set for bass fishing and have a regular 6'6" rod and spinning setup. I know I could use that, too, but I'd like to get a set just for crappie.
    I know that finding the right tackle is going to take some time, that's a given, but it's just the main gear for fishing that I'm trying to find some suggestions on.
    Any and all suggestions are appreciated! I did a search on rods and didn't come up with too much in the first few pages of results. I guess I don't want to buy something and then find out that I would have preferred something different.
    Thanks!
    No, you don't have to have a long pole. If you're used to a 6'6" spinning outfit for Bass fishing ... just go to a lighter action rod (same length) and smaller reel/lighter line. A 6' to 7' rod, in med to lite action (depending on brand), with a matching/balancing spinning reel ... will allow you to fish from shore, and exceed any casting distances you might achieve with a much longer pole. They're also a lot easier to use/handle. I wouldn't go shorter than a 6' rod ... nor longer than a 8' rod. The 10' and longer rods are not really made for "casting" (if distance, or casting as a presentation method, is your goal).
    Brands are a personal choice ... and it's much easier to pick and choose/mix and match, if you have a tackle shop nearby, where you can hold and handle them (see how they match up, how they feel to you, how well they balance when combined).
    You should be able to get into a decent starter outfit, for around $40 (rod & reel) ... and a good outfit, for a little more.

... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

If it were me, I would start out w/ a mitchell 308 reel spooled w/ 6# silver thread,and a 7' diawa spirex rod. I would get some slip corks and lead shot and some aderdeen hooks #4, #6 for minnows. I would also get some 1/32, 1/16 jig heads and 4 differant color grubs, the minnow rig is a given, but ask some local bait shops about the grub colors. black and chartruese works great here so make sure the grubs have chartruse in them. JMO.

Big
    Stinkies Daddy

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Oddzilla,

Welcome to this forum. You will get a wealth of information on just about every topic here.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Very glad I found the site! These are all things that the online stores and searches I've done don't really tell you. I guess they assume you know what to look for.

And thanks for going easy on me! I've been to a few forums where newbies are treated a tad harshly for asking questions that some feel should be common knowledge.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, thanks to X-Mas, I've got my self a decent setup (At least I think so! ) for fishing crappie.

The mother-in-law would not hear it when I told her not to spend any money on me for X-Mas. So she made me give her a list of some things I've been wanting or else she just would have bought me stuff anyways. I sincerely appreciate the thought and efforts but I don't need to get stuff for x-mas.

However, given the unavoidable option of things that I may not need or want (but always appreciated and used) I caved in and gave her a small list of some things, including an inexpensive light action rod and reel set and a few jigs and other things.

Not wanting to make them drive too far to the Bass Pro shop here in Michigan (and since they don't have internet for online ordering) I found things at stores local to them. I know, maybe too accomodating but I didn't want them going too far out of their way for me. They're too good to me and my wife to expect them to do stuff like that.

Anyways, here's a pic of the things they did get me. And even some things that weren't on the list. My (step)father-in-law has been fishing for over 60 years so he got me some things he thought I might like and could use at the cabin of his.

A nice 5'6" Quantum Snapshot LS, a mess of jigs and some stuff for walleye and bass.

Again, very appreciated but completely unnecessary, but will be put to much use at home and at the cabin fishing with Harold (f-i-l).

I've got it spooled up and ready to go with one of the chartruese road runners. As soon as I got time and the lake near me has thawed enough I plan on putting it to very good use.

:D :D
    Last edited by Oddzilla; 01-09-2008 at 09:11 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast