Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you "Jump Start" feeding activity?

Ranger690 is offline Crappie.com Legend and 2021 Crappie.com Man of the Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Can you "Jump Start" feeding activity?

Wondering on the way home. If you had a location....say a brush pile, dock, hump or whatever that you knew crappie were there but would not bite. And assuming that the cover was not too deep......what would happen if you tossed a handful or two of minnows out into/on/around the cover?

Has anyone ever tried it? Would the crappie feed? Could it jumpstart the school to eat...and you follow up with minnows under corks or such?

What are your thoughts?

thanks,
    Dayton

Post Thanks / Like

Saltwater guys chum like this all the time. Chumming absolutely works. I've never done it specifically for crappie, but I've caught crappie while chumming for bluegills. I've heard of one guy in particular who chummed with small shad for bass and was very successful.

Chumming is an art, not a science, though. Most people chum WAY too much and mess it up.

I mostly chum for bluegill and carp, and it's deadly. The difference between chumming and not chumming is like night and day. You really have to see it to believe it.
    Last edited by deathb4disco; 10-18-2007 at 03:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

yes it can work, I sometimes use cottonseed cakes, I will get on the brush or tree and if I know they are there but wont bite I take the cake and scrape it with a knife over the water. The bait that is there or near by will start a feeding frenzy and that will start the crappie to bite most of the time. you can get them from many places but I get mine from http://www.mealcake.com/id71.html

Post Thanks / Like

Save your crappie scales next time you clean fish in a mason jar with water. Scales are some the best chum for crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappielimits
    Save your crappie scales next time you clean fish in a mason jar with water. Scales are some the best chum for crappie.
    I have seen this method work. I clean my fish at a dock where I have a lot of brush sunk around and I know fish are there all the time. After I clean fish and throw away the pieces parts fish usualy bite!
    Tight Lines!
    Jason Piper

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

After i put my boat away and i start shore fishing, i use freeze dried bait cubes. I believe the site is www.kastaway.com They're kodiak baits and they bring the fish in, in less than an hour on most days. I use them icefishing too. His pastes in the tubes work great in cold water.
    http://kastaway.netstorekeeper.com/
    Last edited by chaunc; 10-18-2007 at 05:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't tell nobody but drop a sack of meal with small holes in the bag on your brush pile. SHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Post Thanks / Like

Or dog/cat food. Same principle, and it works
    Quote Originally Posted by willfish4food
    Don't tell nobody but drop a sack of meal with small holes in the bag on your brush pile. SHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard you can put some minnows in a mason jar and lower down in the water to bring the fish. I've never tried it though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SweetHomeAlabama
    I've heard you can put some minnows in a mason jar and lower down in the water to bring the fish. I've never tried it though.

I've heard the same thing from several different folks. I have yet to try it either. Figured the crappie would give themselves a bloody nose from continuously running into that jar. Who wants to eat a crappie with a banged up face?:D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast