Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie needing advice

Post Thanks / Like

Default Newbie needing advice

Hello,

Newbie here and I had a question concerning a man-made 10ac lake here in Missouri I started fishing. I was told there were nice crappie by several people but I am unable to locate them so far, hoping to get some advice.

I took out a kayak today and a portable Eagle cuda 168 depthfinder. Most of the lake is 8-10' deep with no noticable features along the bottom, seems to be a smooth featureless bottom with no channels or timber/stumps. It is completely ringed in lily pads from the bank to at least 12' out. There are small patches of lily pads scattered throughout the lake and I have taken fish off of them. I have pulled several nice bluegill and shellcracker out in the 9-10" range and several 2.5/3lb bass but no crappie yet. Water temp is 67-68 and stained. I am using live minnows on slip bobber and jig (red)/grub (white) combo and small Bomber crank that work great on the bluegills/bass but again no crappie.

Unfortunately I had to leave before covering the entire lake. Heading back I did make a pass around the dam. I saw 16' and what looked like tall weeds coming up to 10-8' and fish. Unfortunately I was pressed for time and had never used this depthfinder before so I am going back tomorrow and check it out further. I know this is probably vague information.

On a side note I love the site. I have been "lurking" for a week or so and finally joined. Seems to be great input and I look forward to visting often. Thanks again for any advice.

Robert Jackson

UPDATE
    I went back a few days later. I passed over the area by the dam and again I saw 16' and what seemed to be weeds (debris maybe) coming from bottom up to 10-8" mark. As I was making passes I was chatting with an old man fishing off the dam and he said he caught crappie from the dam area all the way around the bank leading into the dam. Taking the boat around I saw 14-15' and a few stumps/brushpiles. If my calculations are correct it seems the entire lake is 8-11' deep except for a small "L" shaped area from the dam up this bank line. My question is simply is this few foot change in depth enough to keep the crappie there? I never marked any fish but I know there are variables when you see an arch/fish on the finder. I was using a Hummingbird 215 portable depth finder this time. Lots of rain the past few days so I guess the water temp will drop some more. Any thoughts on possible location and what to bait to use. Thanks again.

Rob

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Rob, Welcome to crappie.com. Theres alot of good folks here willing to share theit knowledge.
    It sounds like you've located a perfect area for crappie to stage in. Any depth change could be a magnet for them especially if cover is available.
    Get some minnows and a few jigs and experiment until you find them. Good Luck

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

If the deeper area is relatively narrow, you might try positioning your kayak in the shallower where you can cast over the deeper water without spooking them. I used to fish for bass in a 3-4acre triangular pond. There was an old (narrow) creek bed running the length of the pond. In the shallow end it was only 2-3' deeper than the flats. I would cast a shallow running bait over the creek... Bam, they'd hit it in the same spot every time. Different quarry to be sure but a slight difference in depth may hold fish...particularly if it is a sharp change.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, thanks for the fast response everyone. Sounds like I should try this deeper area first. Now if the rain would stop I wish I could hit Truman consistently but it is easier for me to hit these smaller areas to fish. Thanks again fellas.

Rob

Post Thanks / Like

Rob i would definately concentrate on the brush and stumps in that deeper water.If thats pretty much the only structure you have found it will hold crappie.Also i would check and see if there is any restrictions agianst it and if not i would make myself some pvc tree's or stake beds and sink me afew.You for sure can draw them to it if the lake don't have much else in the way of structure.If you don't have a way to place this type structure get some waders and wade out and drive some 1x2 in the bottom to form a nice sized stake bed in different locations and depths and you will be pullin crappie outta there in no time.:D

Post Thanks / Like

Not much i can add these fella's have you covered......welcome to the Missouri board.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard Rob, great guys here and great advice.
    Monk

Post Thanks / Like

welcome aboard rob
    Supreme Leader of the Missouri Crappie Militia.........

Post Thanks / Like

Dittos. In the spring, you may find them in the shallow end of the lake as they move to spawn.
    Jim - Have boat - will travel.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again fellas for the warm welcome. I have not fished for crappie much before so expect lots of questions from this Missouri transplant. I should get a chance to fish a few hours tomorrow evening so I will try the deeper end. I am still curious about the lily pads as I have never fished a lake the had so many before. How would crappie typically hold up in the pads or would they pretty much stay to the deeper water or suspend avoiding the pads. Thanks again. Also I have thought about dropping some type of brushpile into the lake but I am pretty sure it is not allowed. It is university property ... I could give them a call and see.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast