Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Power Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Power Pro

Does anyone use it for crappie? I'm referring to the 10 pound strength, two pound diameter. I would love to use it, but my biggest concern is visibility to the fish. Do you think they can see it and if so, would it affect the bite? Anybody done any field testing on this? Thanks for the info.

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow power pro...

Quote Originally Posted by crappster
    Does anyone use it for crappie? I'm referring to the 10 pound strength, two pound diameter. I would love to use it, but my biggest concern is visibility to the fish. Do you think they can see it and if so, would it affect the bite? Anybody done any field testing on this? Thanks for the info.
    ..just bought 300yd spool of hi-vis yellow....spooled it on one rod right now haven't had chance to try it yet...figured I'ld try fluorocarbon leader with it first : read somewhere that if water not clear fish won't see pp--- gonna use it for vertical jigging and casting to piles..
    Tighten er down till ya strip it--then back off 1/4 turn..
    HEY,,Y'all watch THIS..........

Post Thanks / Like

Crapster, I always chuckle when I hear anyone saying that crappie are line shy. I could only guess how many time a crappie would have to be caught and released before it would realize that orange/chartruse jig w/hi-vis line wasn't something to hit. Heh! Heh! Heh!. I've used Stren Gold, Fireline, and now using Power Pro in the 2/10 size. I have a bad set of peepers so the hi-vis line is a must for me tying and seeing those twitches. In clear water, you spook the fish with your boat or shadows long before any line will. I love the Power Pro line!!! It's on all my reels. I even have a drop/Kentucky rig that has 50lbs size line on it. No problems there either. Be sure you spool-up the 1st third of the spool with old mono, then top it off with Power Pro. It will lose some of it's color this summer with sun light. No problems there either. I have put some 'Spike-it' worm dye on it to bring the color back. You'll love how you'll feel even the lightest biting fish & you'll get back 90% of your jigs. Back your drag off a little, keeps you from ripping a few lips off as there is no-stretch. Good luck ole buddy. Get yourself a new filet knife! You're going to need it! <*)}}}><
    You'll see the difference,,,on the end of your line! PROUD MEMBER OF ​TEAM GEEZER

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow not yet ...

but I do have an outfit with that very line on it ... going to give it a tryout this year. My "thinking" on whether or not Crappie can see it, is this .... if they can see it, then they can certainly see the Iron Silk Solar Mint I use ... and the Stren Gold that my partner uses ... and neither one of those has seemed to stop the fish from hitting our baits !!

Some FYI & my take on line color -
    I noticed, in the latest copy of KY Game & Fish magazine, an advertisement for Shakespeare Cajun Line. They show a chart that shows how deep certain colors must go to become "invisible". They advertise that the "red" Cajun Line starts to become invisible in/around the 3ft depth (optimum word being "starts") ... but, the chart indicates that it doesn't become "invisible" until the 12ft depth. Gold/orange is next ... but goes to 80ft, before "disappearing". Of course they don't indicate the water clarity that was used to make this chart comparison. But, even in the lightly stained to moderately stained waters I fish in .... I doubt any fish can see much of any color at 80 ft ....LOL!!
    But, anyway ... I don't think the fish pay too much attention to the line - their interest is on what's tied to the end of it. And even if they do, sometimes, see the line and not hit the bait ... those are more than compensated for, with the times that I can see the light "tic" in the line, and by seeing that line movement - catch more of the light biters, that I may have otherwise missed (using a line I can't see that well). It's a tradeoff I'm willing to take. And I take into account what I started fishing with, as a boy ..... BLACK nylon line !! And I caught fish on that, too ! :D ...luck2ya ...cp

Post Thanks / Like

As usual, great replies. I totally agree with getting the jigs back 90% of the time. I have seen the stuff in action under a dock in OK and they catch the heck out of them.....but then again there are a whole bunch of hungry crappie under that dock. It actually gets pretty ridiculous at times. But with the 2/10 PP I have seen them pull up the Christmas tree before the line broke or jig pulled....lol. I'm going to give the stuff a shot. I have been hesitant to leave mono, but I gotta give in sometime. Actually will try it this weekend and let ya'll know how it works out.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

I have went to power pro, and wont go back to mono. You feel more bites that you ever felt before. It makes you relize that its not all in the rods, its 50/50 both have a great importance in it. I have used all 3 colors moss green, high vis yellow and the white. I really like the white, it will actually turn the same color as the water after awhile. Kind of makes me think that it blends in better, maybe..maybe not. But I have caught fish on all 3 colors. What i like the most about it, is that I have had a spool of it on since july. I havent had to change it like you do mono every couple of months. The 10/2 is my favorite, I have tried the 8/1 and 15/4. Those had there pros and cons, but 10/2 was a happy medium between each.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been using 15lb power pro for some time now and reallly like it. You just got to remember to keep something close by like a rag or piece of broom handle to use when you get hung up hard. I found out the hard way that my hand is only rated for about 10lb. I'm feeling much better now. LOL
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using it for the past couple of years and hardly ever use mono anymore. I pour my own jigs and have cut my losses by about 75%. I agree with the previous post that you have to keep a glove handy whenever you get hung up as it will cut your hand in a hurry.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, when I make my mind up...I work quickly. I just went and bought the 2/10 power pro. TAE you said you tried the 8/1. What did you not like about it? And what did you like? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using the Power Pro for saltwater over a year now and have spooled most of my crappie rigs with it now - the biggest problem I have is pulling the brushpiles up -I actually broke a BPS Tourney Special Rod the other day when I got hung up but they replaced it no questions asked - also I have to keep a sharpe pair of siscors to cut the line and tie on new jigs - and stick to the hi-vis yellow the tan color is hard to see
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast