Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Sardis march 12

slfmade Guest

Default Sardis march 12

I will be staying at John Kyle Park Sat 12th thru Thurs 17th. What are your thoughts about hiring a guide for the 1st day. I wasn't going to but with the weater forecast being cool didn't know.

Post Thanks / Like

You can go right up the north side of the lake and fish the creeks on that side and do as well as any guide would do for you. By the time you get here, the fish should be in less than four feet of water. I live in Batesville and don't fish Sardis much but I have friends that do and they tell me the biggest fish they catch are always around the Piney Point(north side)-Toby Tubby(south side) area and back east of there. They say if you can get in three to four feet of water around those sloughs toward highway seven (Oxford to Holly Springs), you will find those big black boys that fight so hard. Sardis is high and you should be able to get back there. If you're staying at JKP though, you will be about a 20 minute boat ride back to that area. It could be longer than that. Hope you catch a lot of fish. I spend most of my time fishing Grenada and Arkabutla.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sardis

The water temp on Sardis is about 48-50 degrees now. I would doubt that fish will be that shallow by March 12, especially since the weather forecast is for 40's the middle of next week. Also, Sardis is at 252' elevation right now. That means there are a lot of shallow mud flats east of the Toby Tubby area, and you had better know where you are going.

I am thinking that the crappie will still be in the deeper, pre-spawn staging areas (ditches and creek channels) during your visit.

Good fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sardis

ERROR, ERROR, I don't know what I was thinking about, but Sardis is at 256', not 252'. That will make getting around on the upper half of the lake a little easier, but "knowing where you are going" still applies to the area.