Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Blue Gill Lure

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Favorite Blue Gill Lure

Hello Georgia anglers, As you know I live in Savannah. In the fall of the year I will fish in the coastal waters for spotted sea trout and red drum[ spot tail bass] when the water temp. drops down to about seventy or less the spoted sea trout and red drum will move in the creeks to feed and the action realy picks up. In the spring and summer I will fish in the fresh water rivers and ponds for crappie and blue gill. I realy do enjoy fishing for the large blue gills. Say about a pound or pound and a half on ultra light tackle. I think I have tried most small lures not all as of yet, But if I see one that looks like it might produce I will try it. The one I like best so far is a one eight once white road runner with a panfish assassin body in the color of a small brim with a paddle tail. It swims just like a small fry brim and the small spinner on the road runner gives it flash. I would like to hear from all of you, What has worked best for you? Wishing you all full coolers and happy days on the water. Jimmy S.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyS
    Hello Georgia anglers, As you know I live in Savannah. In the fall of the year I will fish in the coastal waters for spotted sea trout and red drum[ spot tail bass] when the water temp. drops down to about seventy or less the spoted sea trout and red drum will move in the creeks to feed and the action realy picks up. In the spring and summer I will fish in the fresh water rivers and ponds for crappie and blue gill. I realy do enjoy fishing for the large blue gills. Say about a pound or pound and a half on ultra light tackle. I think I have tried most small lures not all as of yet, But if I see one that looks like it might produce I will try it. The one I like best so far is a one eight once white road runner with a panfish assassin body in the color of a small brim with a paddle tail. It swims just like a small fry brim and the small spinner on the road runner gives it flash. I would like to hear from all of you, What has worked best for you? Wishing you all full coolers and happy days on the water. Jimmy S.

Jimmy S
    I have 2 favorite for the stained waters of Chesapeake, Va area. For sunny days, I like a blue and white shad looking bait. I think rattle snake makes them and for cloudy days I use the old black with 2 yellow stripes split tail bait. I use both of them with small spinners. Both a great for White Perch too.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

For rivers in S. Ga. area I like the "crickhopper" by Rebel. Sold at Wallymart.

Best little crank bait ever. Doesn't snag, can be fished topwater, and dynamite action for cranking.

Redbellies die for it....literally :D

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Favorite lure for blue gill= Blindhog

Hello Blindhog, Thanks for your reply. That little rebel sounds good, Will give it a try. will look for it next trip to wall mart. I do enjoy catching the red breast in the Ogeechee river here between Savannah and Richmond Hill. Good luck on your next trip and thanks for the reply. Jimmy S.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Favorite Blue Gill Lure= Bill H.

Hello Bill H, Good to hear from you. Thanks for your reply to my post.Are you getting a lot of rain in VA. like we are here in south east Ga.? Man we have realy had the rain. But that does not keep me from going fishing. I have seen the black split tail grub with the yellow stripe, But I can't recall the shad I think you said blue and white. I will look next time I go to Bass Pro and wall Mart. Thanks for your reply to my post and for sharing your favorite lure with us here on the Georgia board. We are happy to have you join in anytime. Welcome Take care ,Good fishing and Gods Blessings your way .Jimmy S.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rooster Tail......

One of my favorites is the smallest Rooster Tail with either white or black hook dressing, depending on the amount of light the day offers. I've had good luck fishing them around the cypress trees and brush piles, but with a small modification. With all the coontail moss and brush in our Louisiana lakes, I replace the treble with a #6 medium shaft hook and tie the teasers just below the hook eye and install using a a small split ring. I still get a little moss, but not nearly as much as the treble.

Good post, JimmyS

Louisiana Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Favorite Blue Gill Lure= Labill

Hello Labill, Great to hear from you ! Welcime to the Georgia Board. Yes I too use the rooster tail in the white and the brim colors , but as you said those treble hooks are a real pain. I like your idea and will change the hooks on mine also. Wishing you the best in your great state. Please feel welcome to join us here anytime, Good fishing and Gods blessings your way ! Jimmy S.

Post Thanks / Like

yep the rooster tail use to be my main lure for bream. but now i have the crickhopper....... :D

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Favorite Blue Gill Lure-Blindhog

Hey Blindhog, Does the crickhopper have treble hooks? If so I think I will change them out. Did you read the post from Ibnfshin [ Bill ] I like his idea about changeing out the treble with the no. 6 hook. The last bream I caught on a rooster tail, I had to use my knife and cut open the mouth to get the hook out. Too much trouble when the fish are biteing. Check out his post. Catch you later. Tight lines to ya Jimmy S.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I saw that. But treble hooks on that lure aren't bad. Every so often I need the needle nose pliars to get a fish off, but it doesn't take but a moment. And those trebles will snag the suckers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast