Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curious about old barns

Post Thanks / Like

Default Curious about old barns

With the bredth and depth of knowledge of folks on this message board, I just KNOW someone will have an answer to something that has perplexed me for many years....

Is there some long-standing farming superstition about tearing down dilapidated old barns? I frequently see land with homes and other out-buildings which are obviously well cared for and in good structural condition, but there will also be an old abandoned barn that looks as if it collapse at any given moment.

Is there a specific reason these old barns are left standing? Is there an age-old superstition that keeps people from tearing them down? Or are they left standing (more like leaning) merely because people don't want to put the time and expense into the demolition?

I know it may seem like a silly thing to ponder, but it's just one of those things I've always been curious about.

I'd appreciate hearing any theories on the matter!

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

We have quite a few barns and buildings just like that on our property. Basically what it boiled down to was at first we were going to fix them up. Then it was a matter of finding the time and money to fix them up. Now they are too far gone to worry with. Now my intentions are to salvage what good lumber is on these buildings for an antique looking gazebo for my wife. That might or might not happen but it's what I intend to do one of these years.
    Let Em' Land!

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure about barns/buildings.But some old houses where built from (wormy chestnut) wood and makes some might fine looking picture frames,mantle clocks,dressers etc.etc. I'd luv to find me about a dozen of homes with this wood.Becoming slim to none around my area.

Post Thanks / Like

i have 2 on my land now that are in rough shape...it boils down that honestly im too lazy to worry bout them....plus im keeping them up in case of a tornado they seem to hit barns instead of houses lol

also there is a fewold farm tractors and equip there that ill have to get rid of then

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If it wasn't for old barns and tractors people wouldn't have anything to take pictures of.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I love to make things out of old barn wood. There are a lot here and I have never heard of any kind of tales
    Soldiers and Firefighters. Some people were meant to call 911, Some were meant to BE 911

Post Thanks / Like

There are several around here that look like they should have been torn down years ago. I think alot of the reason is the centimental value of them, lots of history included with each of these barns. There are some guys that go around wanting to tear them down for the lumber, most are made of red cypress, and the wood is used for multiple things, one guy uses them to make wood duck nesting boxes, and he can very seldom find someone that wants the barns tore down. I don't think it has anything to do with superstitions though. I think its more the history involved.
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

they make great crappie structure lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlaughlin72
    I don't think it has anything to do with superstitions though. I think its more the history involved.
    Bingo
    If I Ain't Crappie Fishin', I'm Thinkin' About It............

Post Thanks / Like

My thought has always been that so long as there was no other structure wanted on that spot or no other use for the land, it was considered to be a waste of money and or time to tear them down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast