Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: I cought one

Post Thanks / Like

Default I cought one

HEHE I bet you thought I was talking about fish. Since I cant fish as often as I would love to, I also love to hunt and also trap hogs. I cought this one today(10/10/07). I use soured corn. It weighed 145 pounds. We have a hog buying station north of Paducah where they pay by the pound. They are then shipped to San Antonio where they are butchered and sent overseas where they are considered a delicacy there. They are a BIG nuisance here and they can sure root up a field so its good to get rid of them. I like to catch some smaller ones and mix them with my deer meat. Makes good sausage.
    Soldiers and Firefighters. Some people were meant to call 911, Some were meant to BE 911

Post Thanks / Like

Thats a nice one. There is a guy that lives about 30 miles from here that traps them, cuts them and vacinates them. Then turns them loose on a 40 acre peice that he has fenced it and he charges people to come and hunt them, he has elevated stands throughout the property, and charges a dollar a pound on the hoof for what you shoot. I have some friends that went and hunted, and if the hogs didn't come by for along time, he would make a ride on a 4 wheeler to get them up and moving, they say it is the best pork they have ever eaten.

May be something you could think about if you have the land to do it.
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

I have the land but to be honest that almost sounds like going out and shooting cows. Theres just no hunt to it at all.
    Soldiers and Firefighters. Some people were meant to call 911, Some were meant to BE 911

Post Thanks / Like

Well the land that he has fenced, has lots of trees and briars and such, so its almost like actually hunting them. They are still wild hogs....lol.... My buddy said that they sat in a stand for about 2 hours waiting to see one before one came around and when they did they wouldn't stop for him to get a shot, so he had to shoot at him on the run. He said it was very enjoyable and he would be going back to do it again....... I thought the same thing you are saying, but he makes it sound different.
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

I guess so but sounds like the same as high fence hunting. I guess there is controversy on both sides. I made $71.45 on it but I guess at a dollar a pound it would have been $145.00 but I am not too much on high fence hunting.

Post Thanks / Like

I got one about that size a few years ago and it made some of the best sausage I've had in a long time.

Post Thanks / Like

The do make some good sausage. I will probably get one about 100 pounds and feed it some corn for a little while and then butcher it.