Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Trolling for Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling for Crappie

I am new to crappie fishing, and I am not too sure on how to troll. I experimented this past weekend and caught some small fish, but I dont know what type of jigs to use as well as how to keep the jig at a certain depth. Anyone have any suggestions??

Post Thanks / Like

Jig style and color is a science in itself. Experiment with different colors for different types of water clarity. Depth is usually controlled by lure weight and speed of the boat. There are many different types of ways to troll for crappie. Be more specific and someone will help out a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by gacowboy
    I am new to crappie fishing, and I am not too sure on how to troll. I experimented this past weekend and caught some small fish, but I dont know what type of jigs to use as well as how to keep the jig at a certain depth. Anyone have any suggestions??

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I am new to trying to troll, and am not too sure on what is the best way to do it. Before I primarily just fished with minnows, but am interested in trolling. This past weekend I tried fishing with 4 rods in the front of the boat in rod holders and 4 rods in the back, all had 1/16 oz. hal flies on them, but I did not get a single bite. I tried several different colors, and nothing, I just think the problem is that I am not keeping the jigs at the right depth.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gacowboy
    Well, I am new to trying to troll, and am not too sure on what is the best way to do it. Before I primarily just fished with minnows, but am interested in trolling. This past weekend I tried fishing with 4 rods in the front of the boat in rod holders and 4 rods in the back, all had 1/16 oz. hal flies on them, but I did not get a single bite. I tried several different colors, and nothing, I just think the problem is that I am not keeping the jigs at the right depth.
    You didn't mention sinkers so I assume you are using 1/16 Hal fly. By you name I assume you are in GA. If the water temp is above 50, I suggest you try 4 rods with 1/32 hal fly( 4 different colors. 4 with 1/16 hal fly ( 4 different colors. 1/2 tipped with minnows 1/2 not. Make a normal cast 60 ft. or so and move the boat about 1/2 mile per hour. Try this for 30 minutes and gradually
    increase boat speed every 1/4 to 1/2 hour until you are moving 1 mile per hour.
    Watch your depth finder and see if you are marking fish. If you do adjust your speed or weight or both untill you are moving your lures at or above that depth.

Change is the constant. Change speeds, change weights, change colors untill
    you start catching fish.

I have never trolled a Hal Fly so I don't know what depth 1/2 mile per hour will be, but probably at least 12 ft. It is wise to carry a notepad and make notes of what weight and speed you are using when you hit bottom. The best way to tell how your lures are running is to troll over a point or hump at
    a known depth and see what speed and weight makes you come in contact with the bottom at different weights and speeds.

This type of trolling can be frustrating to learn.
    I would also look for other boats doing the same thing and if they are catching fish match their speed and try to see what weight they are using.

While color is important, I thing depth control( weight and speed are most critical) will be your most difficult learning curve. I also suggest you invest in an assortmrnt of water gremlin removeable split shot.

http://www.watergremlin.com/Removabl...splitindex.htm walmart carries some sizes.

Use this to add weight for more depth. clip one a ft or 18 inches up the line.
    While double rigging is an option I don't recommend it when you are learning.

If this type fishing is what you are attempting email me and I will answer any specific questions.
    Last edited by whizkids; 03-02-2005 at 02:01 PM.