Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: North Alabama fishing report

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default North Alabama fishing report

heard of 2 limits caught by close freinds. Went a little Saturday afternoon while getting over the shock of selling my boat. Caught 15 in about 2 hours Saturday afternoon. Tightlining over deep trees. The same guy I fished with went Sunday morning and had a limit by noon. The fish are turning on bigtime. Weather turning colder this week for a few days.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

David what part of North Alabama are you located. I lived in Northeast Alabama for 25 years in Stevenson, which is just up the road from Scottsboro which you may be more familiar with. I just moved across the mountain to Winchester Tennessee about a year ago. I still fish Alabama pretty heavy. What areas do you normally fish and have you ever fished Goose Pond. I have had tremendous success over the years in Alabama. What water do you guide on and do you do any spider rigging or trolling?

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Carppieseeker,
    I live in Muscle Shoals and am originally from Panama City, Fl. I am a school teacher here in Muscle Shoals.
    I guide on Pickwick, Wilson, and the bear creek lakes (BCDA). The bear creek lakes are my favorite lakes to fish, especially Cedar Lake. I have not fished GOose pond, but have heard a lot about it. I have freinds that teach at Scottsboro HS.

Yes, I definately spider rig. I just sold my boat last weeked looking for something with a little more space. I had a dual console boat that just wasn't getting it done. Want more floor space. My favorite way to fish is casting a grub in standing timbre, my my go to "catch a lot of fish" technique is slow drifting/trolling. I catch most of my limits during the year trolling crankbaits in the bear creek lakes. Caught over 2,500 fish last year, most coming during the heat of the summer. But my biggest fish by far come in the months of march and April.
    Likes Bread man LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

David are you catching quality fish in your area? Two years ago I probably caught 2,500 fish in less than a month, but they were small. One day me and a friend quit counting at 500 fish but only ended up with 31 keepers. This past year was probably my worst year ever. I didnt catch many fish at all and what I did catch were small also. I think my best day this past year was 150 fish with 51 keepers. I would like to learn to troll and spider rig for crappie. I have never done it. I really dont even know what the best way would be to set up my boat. I would need to go with someone who does it regularly and see their set up and technique. I have read alot about it here on the board, but I'm not smart enough to comprehend it and apply it without seeing it first hand or someone helping me. I need to learn some different techniques because all i know is casting and vertical jigging. I was reading about bear creek in a magazine the other day and it said that bear creek lakes were good crappie fishing but they were very confusing because there were several different areas called bear creek. You said you troll crankbaits for crappie. I have never fished a crankbait for crappie. What kind of crankbaits do you use? My friends are wondering what has happened to me because I use to catch crappie like crazy, and for some reason I am not now. Maybe the patterns are starting to change. Well anyway, good luck to you.

Post Thanks / Like

well, what I should have said was cleaned over 2,500 fish. The size limit is 9", on average those fish would have been about 10 inches, I guess. We do catch a lot of 9-9 1/2" crappie. 3 weeks ago I brought home 37 crappie with a buddy of mine, but I threw back 10 or so. Caught those crappie with a fibreglass pole with a cork and minnow fishing timbre in 30'.

I have 3 annual events I use these crappie for. I always do a fish fry for all the administrators and teachers at the high school for a Christmas gift. This way, I have good excuses to use my sick days for fishing days!! I also have a fish fry for my church. And I have a fish fry for all the band parents (I am a band director). BUt, as of right now. I have only one bag of crappie in my freezer from 2 weekends ago. I eat every single fish I bring home.

I fish in what is called the Bear Creek Development Authority Lakes. Cedar, Little Bear, Upper Bear, and Horseshoe bend. Big Bear is actually the bear creek off the Tennessee River, which is part of Pickwick Lake. That is home of Roger Gant, the king of sideways trolling. He is a big time guide on that lake.

THE single best crankbait I have found in bandit crankbaits. The 200 and 300 series. They have more color selection that any other bait on the market I think. We have done so well, we sent them some pictures and letters. Tim Horton is a professional bass fisherman and lives in this area. He is sponsered by Pradco, who makes bomber, and we had a long talk with them. They wanted us to try out their baits and sent us many different kinds to try. I will tell you how we do when it gets summertime.

I will take some pictures of Brad's boat the next time we go fishing. He has an 18' BumbleBee. I like the layout of that boat alot. Lots of floor space with enough bow room to put two seats up front. He has rod holders acroos the front of the bow just behind the trolling motor. He can put out 6 rods up front. There are 3 rod holders mounted on the left side of the boat for someone in the middle. He also has 2 rod holders on the back that will hold 6 rods. He has an addition 2 spots on the front of the boat for rod holders that will hold up to 6 more rods. We got the idea form looking at one of the crappie books I think called Crappie Secrets or something like that. One pair of fisherman had 26 rods. We can't do that many, but I think we can handle 16 rods or so.

Here is a couple of pictures that you might get an idea of our rod holders and such.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Likes Bread man LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Mr Waters I have fished bear creek lakes a lot. not too much luck last few years. Did I understand you guide some trips? I gor a big tundra boat I can fish out of would likle to learn more about Cedar And little Bear. Thanks Bread man Jasper