Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Old Ice Bucket !!

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink The Old Ice Bucket !!

This will work. Here is a tip for you. I found a nice stainless steel ice bucket with a spring closure lid on and a carrying handle it at the flea market for a couple of bucks. Drill some very tiny drain and air holes at the top and the bottom. in an area the size of a quarter. Go to Walmart and get some insulation foam in a can. It is in the paint department. Spray and line the can (all areas, including the top, except for where your drainage holes are) with the foam. BE SURE you don't go so close that the top won't close properly. I'd leave a perimeter of around 3/4 inch to make sure.

WHAT YOU HAVE is an escape proof red wiggler container. Keep the soil moist, and feed the wigglers once a week with some fruit (pears, grapes, watermelon etc) and they will always be ready to go fishing when you are. Plus, they will make baby wigglers for you. Keep them in a cool place. The insulation protects them when you have the container on the boat or shore. Bluegills love fruit flavored wigglers. Try it out.
    Last edited by shipahoy41; 10-03-2007 at 04:01 PM.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shipahoy41
    This will work. Here is a tip for you. I found a nice stainless steel ice bucket with a spring closure lid on and a carrying handle it at the flea market for a couple of bucks. Drill some very tiny drain and air holes at the top and the bottom. in an area the size of a quarter. Go to Walmart and get some insulation foam in a can. It is in the paint department. Spray and line the can (all areas, including the top, except for where your drainage holes are) with the foam. BE SURE you don't go so close that the top won't close properly. I'd leave a perimeter of around 3/4 inch to make sure.

WHAT YOU HAVE is an escape proof red wiggler container. Keep the soil moist, and feed the wigglers once a week with some fruit (pears, grapes, watermelon etc) and they will always be ready to go fishing when you are. Plus, they will make baby wigglers for you. Keep them in a cool place. The insulation protects them when you have the container on the boat or shore. Bluegills love fruit flavored wigglers. Try it out.
    Do you think an old insulated frabil would work? and how much moisture is enuff?
    Stinkies Daddy

Post Thanks / Like

i must be cursed i have tried everything in the market to raise night crawlers...i can collect 10 dozen easy at night in my lawn after a rain but no matter what they always die....the only thing that seemed to work for me is to save the containers when i buy then and put a dozen in each one and stick in refrigerator..might try your bucket but i actually have no acess to red wigglers besides to buy them.. i can get all the crawlers anyone could ever want tho

Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 of them worm foam cooler.I bought that worm bedding and magic worm food. Got everything at wally-world.I have 7-8 dozen in each one(dont wanna overfillem them worms will die and smell been there done that)I have them in bottom part of fridge in garage.I keepem year round with no problems at all.Think with everything food,bedding & worm coolers all was less then $20.Worms being $2.19 a dozen didnt take very long for it to pay for itself(less then a week)

Post Thanks / Like

hmmmm i tried the same ones your talking bout but to no avail..maybe it was just to warm in my basement...think ill try them and get me an old fridge to keep em in and see what happens...lol ohhhh and one thing gottamake sure that lids on tight, the first day i had bout 30 crawlers all over my basement lol.....im gonna wait forournext rain and start over and see if works since its cooler out now....will take one and leave it in basement and the other ill put in an old fridge at about 40 degrees..

like i said i have no probs getting an easy 10-20 dozen after a rain in bout 20 minutes or so..just sucks when it doesnt rain for 2 months

Post Thanks / Like

When you get the worm bedding you need to wet it pretty good with distilled not tap water to get it good and moist.Everytime I use tap water it killed them(the chlorine is tuff).

Post Thanks / Like

i got well water but has lots of iron in it..i wonder if the iron or the salt pellets effect it...ill try bottled distilled water this time

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not 100% sure but I would think the Salt isnt good for them,The iron I have no clue.

I only use distilled now or rain water(which we havent had no rain in 2 months).

Post Thanks / Like

cool thanks for the pointers.....iknow how you feel we just finally got a little rain in last week or so but was dry for bout 2 months before that

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by john h
    i must be cursed i have tried everything in the market to raise night crawlers...i can collect 10 dozen easy at night in my lawn after a rain but no matter what they always die....the only thing that seemed to work for me is to save the containers when i buy then and put a dozen in each one and stick in refrigerator..might try your bucket but i actually have no acess to red wigglers besides to buy them.. i can get all the crawlers anyone could ever want tho
    I used to fish catfish tournaments and native nightcrawlers were a must. (500 for a tournament day). I have tried all sorts of things to keep them and lost hundreds. First, don't put them in your root cellar. Put them in a 55 gallon container full of dirt and shredded newspaper for food, and maybe a little corn meal in a good hot garage. Remember, they're usually only down 3-4 inches when you dig them, so they they don't really like 55 degree root cellars. Next, don't overwater them. They're generally in soil which is slightly moist. If you use "crawler caller" - citric acid to get them out of the ground, you'll lose a bunch of them. If you use acid - use them right away. The best survival rate (after acid) is to put them in clean dirt and slightly refrigerate them overnight. There's not much of a good way to keep them from crawling out of containers. Most of what I've read about tight lids is good, but I've watched them crawl right out of 6 gallon buckets with lids screwed on - they crawl right out through the threads for the lids. I went to clamps, a pieces of cloth which I cold moisten a little. If you put them in the same dirt you dug them from in a large container in a hot garage, that seems to be the optimal way of keeping them - and I had a buddy who suddenly found baby crawlers. I'd count my blessings to have them available in the yard. There's nothing like a good old pencil sized nightcrawler oozing out that stinky green crap to attract flatheads, blues and channels. I think Missouri Dept of Conservation may also have done some research on keeping native crawlers. Good fishing.
    Jim - Have boat - will travel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast