Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: moon vs. crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default moon vs. crappie

does the moon affect the crappie bite? if so how? i went out last night and only caught five crappie, and i know this place of mine is a lot better than that. the moon was so bright you could see the other side of the lake. did this affect the fish?
    EAT, SLEEP, FISH AND LOVE THY WIFE

Post Thanks / Like

I've been told by local guys that with the moon being full, the crappie can see better at night therefore they feed more. I know I don't catch as many fish during the day following a full moon but not sure if the night fishing process still works on a bright full moon.

Buzz

Post Thanks / Like

Default Moon

Kept a log this summer on the barometer,wind,moon,water temp. etc. Could not see any real pattern at all. If they are hungry & in the mood they will bite. The last 10 days I have caught over 200 fish every day on a 6 or 7 hour trip tightlining a tube at 15ft. Weather has been a little of everything,cold fronts,bluebird days,full moon & hard northwest wind a few days. They are on their fall feeding frenzy and eat steady. Normal northern fish 8 to 12 inches. Out of 100 fish one or two will go 1 1/2 lbs.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If night fishing, the full moon makes a BIG difference in the bite. With a very bright moon that lights up the lake, the fish seems to shut off. I'm guessing they can see the surface all over the lake better and see the baitfish above them. Therefore, no need to come to your light and look up when nature has provided them with one that lights the whole lake.

On bright moonlit nights, you can still catch fish. The moon doesnt always rise at first dark. Sometimes it can be as late as 2 or 3 hrs. into the night before it rises, therefore still really dark beforehand. Your light will be effective drawing in crappie until the moon rises. Then the bite seems to just quit.

I always spend the full moon weekends wining and dining the wife or simply doing the family thing with the wife and kids whether that be staying home or going out. Seems to smooth things over alot more next time I catch a dark night and want to go fishing. :D
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

gabowman, what and excelent way to balance things out :D

Yup I agree the full moon with turn the bite off. Last summer I fished one and it was cloudy. I had a good bite untill the clouds went away and the bite basically shut off. So to me the best thing to do is find some overhead cover like under a bridge or tall trees or something, that'll help.

-REDBOAT

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with gabowman and redboat. I don't go out much at night on a full moon. I haven't been out much period lately. I sure hope that changes soon.

Post Thanks / Like

I.m one that believes best time to go fishing is any chance you get, a Bad night fishing is better than sittin in the recliner,

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation in the boat

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Kinser
    I.m one that believes best time to go fishing is any chance you get, a Bad night fishing is better than sittin in the recliner,
    And the best night fishing is with the recliner in the boat!!! :D
    Everyone has a secret talent they didn't know about until tequila.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boat49
    And the best night fishing is with the recliner in the boat!!! :D
    :D :D I need a bigger boat. That sounds like a good idea!